University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved January 13, 2014
January 6, 2014
Present: Bernard-Donals, Cook, Fair, Farrar Edwards, Meyerand, Petty
The meeting began at 1:00 p.m.
1. Minutes of the meeting of December 16, 2013 (document 130434) were approved as distributed
2. Vice chancellor for finance and administration discussed bridge funding. He will present information on CAPX and Indirects at the 1/27/14 meeting. Martin Cadwallader should be invited to attend the next UC meeting to also discuss this topic as it related to interdisciplinary research and faculty who have multi-unit appointments.
3. Provost requests UC representation on a several searches underway or soon to be underway. UC members will be identified at the 1/13/14 meeting.
4. Committee on Committees having difficulty identifying people to serve on committees. Would like to have a discussion about changing senate language about who should serve on committees at a subsequent meeting to take the Senate for their consideration. Michael requested to discuss the issue in the Deans Council.
5. Updates on the status of the Tuition Report as well as an upcoming meeting Michael will be having with legislators regarding appropriate university education, curriculum and outcomes at institutions like UW –Madison.
6. Chapter 6 and other governance committees to not have classified representation. Proposed changes to FPP to allow for such representation should be in place by the end of the semester.
7. Tim Donohue, Working Group on Leadership Changes in the Office of the VCR/DGS Chair updated the UC on the Group’s mission, charges and progress to date. Timeline for the Group’s work: “heads up” recommendations to UC 2/8; final recommendations to UC 2/15. Proposed recommendations to Faculty Senate at the March meeting. UC also asked Tim to present progress at the February Senate meeting.
8. Proposed track transfer policy from the School of Nursing (document 130422b) approved unanimously.
9. Proposed changes to FPP 5.30.B deferred to Jan. 13, 2014 meeting.
10. Academic staff dual roles were discussed. UC asks that ASEC discuss their vision of what areas of overlap were necessary and how they would work. Subsequently, A joint meeting should be held to fully discuss the matter.
11. The issue of the Summary period regulations for non-regulated courses (document 130435) was deemed not to be part of the UC purview. Michael to forward to the L&S Dean.
12. In closed session a request for a rule waiver was approved and committee appointments were discussed.
The meeting adjourned at 4:35 p.m.
William A. Heiss, M.S.S.W.
Secretary of the Faculty