approved April 8, 2013
April 1, 2013
Present: Bernard-Donals, Cook, Fair (until 2:15), Lipton (until 3:40), Petty, Scheufele
1. The meeting began at 12:58 p.m.
2. Motion by Lipton, second by Scheufele, to approve the minutes of the 18 March 2013 meeting. Unanimous.
3. The committee expressed to the provost its concerns about the draft international travel policies document.
4. The provost commissioned an additional financial analysis related to the proposed college of the arts that excludes the School of Music, but had not shared the report with the UC. The committee requested a copy of the report.
5. It was reported by the provost that Gilles Bousquet will return to Madison and will have an appointment with system administration to assist with global initiatives across the system. The UC supports protecting the interim dean of international studies and programs from direct influence from system. The committee will communicate with the provost that any contact from system regarding global initiatives and activities be through the provost and not directly to the interim dean.
6. The UC will urge the provost to move forward with his approval of the new email and calendaring system, and to consult with faculty to assure that the capabilities of the system do not sacrifice the current needs and expectations of campus users.
7. The proposed college of the arts presentation for the April senate meeting was discussed and edited.
8. Cook received a request from the chancellor’s office for a proposal to brief Chancellor-designate Blank on the faculty’s role in governance. After some discussion it was agreed that Cook will draft the response and Bernard-Donals will edit it.
9. Cook reported that ASM, CNCS and ASEC would like to establish a Committee on Public Engagement to have governance involvement where administrative decisions/policies regulating certain activities on campus are contrary to a governance group’s needs/initiatives. The UC’s decision on the request will be made after receiving additional information/clarification from the other governance groups.
10. The meeting adjourned at 5:02 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Andrea Poehling, secretary of the faculty, and David Musolf, secretary of the faculty emeritus.