L&S Letter Templates for Short-Term Staff
This document contains templates for short-term staff (STS) appointment letters, with links to frequently used documents and policies.
Before drafting an offer letter, you may find the following documents helpful:
Please use the templates below to create a draft appointment letter and email to your STS/SA HR Rep
for review. You will also need to submit a copy of the instructor's CV and any related documents. Possible related documents include the following:
You will receive a signed approval via email with any corrections. The signed approval should be kept in the instructor's personnel file at the department.
For open recruitments through TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then email the final draft to your STS / SA HR Rep. The HR Rep will send the letter to the instructor via TREMS.
Offers outside of TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then mail or email the offer to your instructor along with any enclosures. Links to the enclosures are below.
See Intermittent Furlough
s for more details on furlough requirements. All employees have
intermittent furlough obligations except the following Employee Classes
: SA, ET, CL,
SH, Non-FTE appointments (eg: zero dollar, L-Basis), H-1B and E-3 Visa
holders, those on Position Specific Furlough or those on Workshare, and Summer
Service (SV)/Summer Session (SS) appointments.
Dates & Calendars
- Fall 2020
- Payroll start: August 17, 2020
- Payroll end: December 31, 2020
- Courses begin: September 2, 2020
- Exams end: December 18, 2020
- Spring 2021
- Payroll start: January 1, 2021
- Payroll end: May 16, 2021
- Courses begin: January 19, 2021
- Exams end: May 7, 2021
For summer sessions appointments, please reference the dates on your department's "Expense Details" report.
Calculating Gross Salary
- Semester-length course: Base rate / 2 * appointment percentage.
- Academic year salary: Base rate * appointment percentage.
- Other: If the appointment is not based on a semester or academic year, use the "FLOAT" tool to calculate the instructor's salary: [Link for document 25279 is unavailable at this time.]
L&S Instructional Visiting Faculty
For questions regarding the policy/procedures, please contact your STS/SA HR Rep