approved February 25, 2013
February 18, 2013
Present: Bernard-Donals (arrived at 2:50 p.m.) Cook, Fair, Lipton, Petty
1. The meeting began at 1:00 p.m.
2. Motion by Lipton, second by Petty to recommend to the Faculty Senate approval of the amendment to FP&P 4.10 as stated in document 130275 and presented by Naomi Chesler and Jeff Linderoth. Unanimous.
3. The committee offered its perspective on the CURAFA Task 1 deliverable as requested by Sara Goldrick-Rab: suggestion that the document be a more operational/actionable statement with quantitative targets; discomfort with the suggestion that preference be given to those out-of-state students with an interest in public service; and suggestion that the document reference intellectual capacity. Cook will convey the suggestions to Goldrick-Rab.
4. The committee will ask Sarah Van Orman to present the alcohol policy at the March Faculty Senate meeting.
5. The committee expressed concern to the provost about the perceived low level of involvement by governance groups in discussions of the single domain calendaring and email system.
6. The committee set internal deadlines for work on the proposed College of the Arts:
• UC representatives visit and update Julie Underwood: Feb 20
• UC finishes information collection: Feb 25
• UC prepares analysis: March 7
• UC shares its analysis with department chairs: March 14
• Provost and chancellor hold a meeting for departments: Mid-March
• Faculty Senate first reading of proposal or report of analysis: April 8
• If proposed alternative, organize an ad hoc committee: April 30
7. Motion by Petty, second by Lipton to approve the minutes of February 11, 2013. Unanimous.
8. Unanimous approval of the March 4 Faculty Senate agenda.
9. The University Committee will refer all questions about MOOCs to Jeff Russell.
10. The University Committee will provide feedback about managed travel to Dan Langer and Martha Kerner early next week.
11. The Campus Transportation Committee Annual Report for 2011-2012 will be presented at a future Faculty Senate meeting, after revisions to the report have been approved by the Campus Transportation Committee. The University Committee recommends that the Campus Transportation Committee vote on agenda items and annual reports.
12. Motion by Petty, second by Lipton to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Unanimous approval.
13. The committee reconvened in open session at 5:00 p.m.
14. (5:23) The meeting adjourned at 5:23 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Andrea Poehling, secretary of the faculty.