In lieu of ordering an encoded closed captioned file from 3Play, Handbrake can be used to manually encode captions in an existing .mp4 video.
Creating Encoded CC File Using Handbrake
You will need the Handbrake software, .mp4 video, and .srt caption file.
- Open Handbrake.
- Click Open Source and select the .mp4 to be encoded.
- Click the Subtitles tab in the middle of the window.
- Click the Add External SRT button under the Tracks drop-down menu.
- Locate .srt caption file stored in Box. It will be added to the Track window.
- If necessary, set a new output destination for the encoded file by clicking the Browse button near the top-right corner of the Handbrake window. For example, you may want to output files to a temporary staging area on your local computer and then upload the completed files to into Box (Course Materials > Final Course Videos).
- Click the Start button at the top of the Handbrake window.
- Handbrake with generate a new movie file with encoded captions.