Canvas - Accessing Kaltura Media (UW-Madison)
This document outlines how to access your Kaltura media via Canvas. Kaltura is integrated into Canvas in four ways: My Media, Media Gallery, Assignments (Interactive Video Quiz), and Embed (in Editor).
Embedding Kaltura Media
- Move your cursor to the point in your Canvas page where you want to insert a Kaltura MediaSpace video.
- Click the blue V icon to view the More External Tools menu. Select Kaltura Media from the drop-down list.
- A window titled Kaltura Media will open showing the media content associated with your Kaltura account.
- Scroll to the video you want to embed. Click the Select button to embed the video in your page.
Optional: If you would like to select a size other than medium (default), click the arrow next to the Select button to open a drop-down menu and choose the size you want to embed.
- The video will show up on your Canvas page. You can continue to edit the page and add text if you'd like. Once you're done click Save.
- Canvas will display your page with your embedded Kaltura video.
The Media Gallery for a course is a place for you to aggregate all of your course-related media. You can add media from your My Media library to your Media Gallery. Please note that the Media Gallery is disabled by default. For information on how to enable Media Gallery, please see the Canvas Instructor Guide located here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2555.
The Media Gallery for a Canvas course is a special Kaltura Channel dedicated to that course. Because it is a Channel, you have the ability to create Channel Playlists. You can use Channel Playlists to organize you media into meaningful groups as seen in the screenshot below:
A list of known Kaltura issues is located here. The most prevalent issue that instructors may run into is Document 77347 is unavailable at this time.