Canvas - Piazza in Canvas (UW-Madison)
At UW-Madison, the Piazza Q&A product is integrated with the Canvas learning management system. This integration allows direct sign on to Piazza via a link from within Canvas. This document describes how to access Piazza Q&A from Canvas.
Adding Piazza Q&A to a Course (Instructors Only)
Students see Launching Piazza Q&A, below.
To make the tool accessible you will have to add it to your Canvas course navigation bar. To do this:
- Click on Settings, then select the Navigation tab. At the bottom of the page is a list of tools that are not in the navigation bar.
- Locate Piazza and drag and drop it into the list of tools directly above.
- Click Save to save your changes.
Launching Piazza Q&A (All Users)
- To launch the tool, click on the Piazza link in the Canvas course navigation bar.
- A login box will appear. It will identify you as either a student or instructor in the class. Verify that the information is correct and continue as follows:
Instructors will see Piazza Q&A launch. (Note: You do not need to upload your course roster. Students will automatically get added to the Piazza roster as they click on the link in your Canvas course).Students will see a screen asking for academic information. Entering your academic information is not required. Continue as follows:
- Enter your academic information or click the I'm not pursuing a degree checkbox.
- Click Continue.
- A screen appears, asking you to register for the Piazza Network. Network is a different product offered by Piazza and it IS NOT REQUIRED that you sign up for it. In fact, researching the Network product is highly recommended prior to signing up, as it allows your profile to be viewed by outside organizations.
- If you choose to join the Piazza Network, you will be asked to agree to terms of service. If not, you will proceed directly to Piazza Q&A.
If you are experiencing any difficulties or issues with Piazza Q&A, please contact Piazza support 24/7 at firstname.lastname@example.org.