D2L - How to Create a News Item (UW-Madison)
This document describes how to create a news item and how to add audio in a D2L course.
Video overview of the process
All courses in D2L have the news tool enabled on the course home page by default.
1. On a course home page, click the arrow button located next to the word News. Then click New News Item from the dropdown menu .
2. Enter the desired information for each field.
- The Headline will appear at the beginning of the news item.
- The Content of the posting can be entered here in either plain text, or by using the html editor.
- The Availability of the news item controls when it will be visible to students. Use this to have the posting appear in the future, or leave blank to have it appear immediately.
- Attachments can be used to attach documents or presentations to the news posting.
- To record audio, click the Record Audio button towards the bottom of the page. A window will pop up.
Make sure to allow your settings to use your computer's microphone.
Click Record and then Add to upload a sound recording to your attachments.
- Additional Release Conditions control when the item will appear based on other conditions, such as a student's having viewed a content item or completed a quiz. You can create a new condition by pressing the Create and Attach button.
3. Click Publish to add the news item to the News area.
Restoring Deleted Items
You also have the option to restore any news items you may have deleted. To do this, go to the News tool, click on More Actions, and then click Restore. You will see a list of all deleted items. Click the check boxes next to the ones you want, then click the blue Restore button.