D2L - How to Create a Discussion Forum and Topic (UW-Madison)
This document describes how to create and setup a discussion forum and topic in a D2L course. In general, online discussions are a space in which students can talk about issues and topics relevant to the course. They can share insight and perspective, expounding upon content not necessarily discussed in class. In these discussions, a "forum" is an organizational container. "Topics" fit within a forum and these topics are where discussion posts are made.
1. Click on Communication in the navigation bar, and select Discussion.
2. Click the New button, and select Forum from the drop-down menu.
3. Enter the desired information and availability settings. For more options, click show forum visibility options and/or show locking options.
4. Press the Save and Add Topic button.
5. In the next window, enter the topic title and description. It will automatically be placed in your newly-created forum.
*Note* A topic is needed under the forum in order for any information posted under the forum to be visible to students. Students can only post information under a topic.
6. Select the Save button.
7. Click on Close to view all Forums and Topics.
(Hint: Multiple topics can be added under the same Forum. Click on the arrow next to the Forum name, and select Add Topic from the drop-down menu).