UW-Madison Box - Link Kumo to Box
Kumo is a service that provides easy access to your files in UW-Madison Google Drive, UW-Madison Box, and UW-Madison OneDrive for Business when using a Windows system joined to Campus Active Directory that is running the Kumo client software.
How does Kumo work with UW-Madison Box?
UW-Madison Box is connected as a virtual drive. You can access your files via mounted drives in Windows Explorer. This drive is silently setup by the Kumo client and is ready to go within seconds of logging in. Files are accessed on demand by the client rather than synced, which minimizes local storage requirements, and all file I/O occurs strictly between the cloud service and the user's machine.
What are the requirements to use Kumo?
Use of the UW-Madison Kumo service is limited to Windows systems joined to Campus Active Directory (AD) whose users login with their NetIDs. These systems must also have the Kumo client software installed. Please contact your local IT staff if you believe the client is installed and you are experiencing problems accessing it.
Note: The Kumo portal syncs all of your files to the workstation you are using. If you are storing protected data in Box, you should NOT use Kumo (or any other sync client) unless the workstation you are using meets Cybersecurity’s requirements for storing protected data. If you have been approved to store protected data in Box, you should consult Cybersecurity before using Kumo to access your files.
How can I link Kumo to UW-Madison Box?
- Open a browser.
- Go to the UW-Madison Kumo portal at https://kumo.wisc.edu/ and click Log In.
- Log in with your NetID and NetID password.
- Click on the downward arrow next to UW-Madison Box.
- Click Authorize.
- Select Use Single Sign On (SSO).
- Enter your NetID@wisc.edu email address and select Authorize.
- Click Grant access to Box when prompted to allow UW-Madison Kumo to access your NetID@wisc.edu Box account.
- Confirm you have successfully authorized Kumo to access your UW-Madison Box account.
UW-Madison Box is now mapped to your drive and an icon will appear in Windows Explorer under Network Location.
Note: These steps only need to be configured once for each UW-Madison cloud storage service (e.g., UW-Madison Google Drive,
UW-Madison Box, and UW-Madison OneDrive for Business).
What should I do after I link Kumo to UW-Madison Box?
(Optional) Link Kumo to another UW-Madison cloud storage service.
- Repeat the steps above and click the downward arrow next to the UW-Madison cloud storage service that should be linked to Kumo.
Exit the UW-Madison Kumo portal.
- Click Log Out and quit the browser to ensure you are completely logged out.