Canvas - Access for Non-UW Personnel
This article describes the steps for allowing someone outside of UW-Madison (e.g. Someone from industry that's helping teach a class) access to Canvas.
All access to Canvas is provided via NetID accounts. Non-UW personnel who need access to Canvas will need to obtain a NetID. The mechanism for getting a NetID for Non-UW people is "Manifest."
For One Person/Small Group of People (Less than 10)
- Gather the person(s)'s name and email that needs access to the Canvas course.
- Email this information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NOTE: This process can take several days to be created, so allow adequate time for the NetID creation process.
For a Large Group of People (or people that will need access for extensive amounts of time)
- You will need to request a Manifest Group using the information on this webpage: https://manifest.services.wisc.edu/
- Be sure to state that you need a Manifest Group that has the capability to create new NetIDs.
- Once a Manifest Group has been attained and are approved to create new NetID's, email email@example.com the name of your new manifest group.
- Your Manifest Group includes a description. This description is included as part of the invitation sent to potential NetID recipients. This is the best place to let recipients know the purpose of obtaining a NetID. Failure to include this information in this field may result in the recipient being confused by the invitation.
- Once a person has obtained a NetID, they can be added to a course by the course's instructor or by the sub account administrators.