Canvas - Adding people to a Canvas course (UW-Madison)
This document outlines how to add someone to your course in Canvas. It is primarily for an instructor who wishes to add a TA or co-instructor.
Manually adding someone to your course
- Log in to Canvas at canvas.wisc.edu
- Click on the course you want to add someone to.
- Select People from the course navigation panel on the left side of the page.
- Click the button on the right side of the screen.
- An Add People window will open.
- Search for users by Email Address, Login ID, or SIS ID. Inputs for these fields should follow the formatting below:
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred email, as listed in the directory)
- Login ID: email@example.com (NetID@wisc.edu)
- SIS ID: UW000A000 (PVI, assigned in the UW System's Identification, Authentication, and Authorization (IAA) System
We recommend searching by Login ID using the format "NetID@wisc.edu." The Email Address search is not very robust.
If the user in question is not affiliated with UW-Madison and does not have a NetID, see Canvas - Access for Non-UW Personnel (UW-Madison).
Adding Students to a Course
Instructors should NOT add students to their courses manually. Students, including student auditors, must enroll in courses through the normal enrollment process. (See Student Center - Enrolling in Classes.) Enrolled students will be added to their Canvas courses approximately three weeks before the start of the semester. During the semester, Canvas synches with the Student Information System every four hours. Students added to the course outside of the automatic update procedure may lack access to some course functions.
If a student is not seeing a course that they are enrolled in, they should contact the DoIT Help Desk: Get Help from DoIT