Canvas - Adding people to a Canvas course (UW-Madison)
This document outlines how to add someone to your course in Canvas. It is primarily for an instructor who wishes to add a TA or co-instructor.
Manually adding someone to your course
- Log in to Canvas at canvas.wisc.edu
- Click on the course you want to add someone to.
- Select People from the course navigation panel on the left side of the page.
- Click the button on the right side of the screen.
- An Add People window will open.
- Search for users by Email Address, Login ID, or SIS ID. Inputs for these fields should follow the formatting below:
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org (use preferred email, as listed in the directory).
- Login ID: email@example.com (NetID@wisc.edu)
- SIS ID: UW000A000 (PVI, assigned in the UW System's Identification, Authentication, and Authorization (IAA) System
We recommend searching by Login ID using the format "NetID@wisc.edu."
If the user in question is not affiliated with UW-Madison and does not have a NetID, see Canvas - Access for Non-UW Personnel.
Adding Students to a Course
Instructors should NOT add students to their courses manually. Students added to the course outside of the automatic update procedure will lack access to some course functions.
Students, including student auditors, must enroll in courses through the normal enrollment process. (See: Student Center - Enrolling in Classes) Enrolled students will be automatically added to their Canvas courses roughly three weeks prior to the start of the semester. Students who enroll in a course after the start of the semester will also be automatically added to your Canvas course. During the semester, Canvas syncs with the Student Information System (SIS) nightly and adds or drops students based on the information it finds within SIS.
NOTE:The +People button is grayed out after the course concludes. To add someone after that time, go to Settings, change the End Date to sometime in the future, and check the box for "users can participate between these dates." Navigate back to the People tab and add the user normally. Afterwards, make sure to go back to settings and change the end date back.
If a student is not seeing a course that they are enrolled in, they should contact the DoIT Help Desk.