Office 365 - Microsoft Office 2013 path to retirement
Which version of Office 2013 is affected?
All versions of Office 2013 are affected - please review the Office 365 - What version of Microsoft Outlook am I using? document to verify the version you are using. Note: Users upgrading from Office 2013 to Office 2016 should have no problems due to system requirements.
Should I upgrade to Office 2016?
Yes. The newest version provides a better user experience (including enhanced features), receives the latest security updates and enhancements, and DoIT will provide complete support.
Why am I receiving an upgrade notification when running an Office 2013 application?
Because you are using a version of Office which is eligible to be upgraded.
What happens if I do not upgrade
Office will no longer receive the critical updates (by Feb. 2017). Beginning in Feb. 2017, DoIT will focus our efforts on helping customers upgrade to the latest version. Note: Microsoft official date for end of support is April, 2018.
How do I upgrade to the latest version?
Every faculty/staff/student has access to Office 2016.
- For faculty/staff: the software can be downloaded from either within Office 365 web client or from Campus Software Library. For work machines, please contact your IT staff for recommendation before upgrading. For home machines, it is recommended you upgrade via Office 365 web client.
- For students: it is recommended they download from within Office 365 web client.
Please review the Office 365 - Downloading/Install Microsoft Office document.
How does the upgrade work if I also have Microsoft Visio and/or Project installed?
At this time, the only option is to install Office, Project, and/or Visio from the Campus Software Library (CSL).
Important: You will need administrator rights to your computer to install any software. If you do not have these rights, contact your local administrator. Also, make sure to update the software after completing the installation - this will ensure that your software is up-to-date for it most important security patches.
Follow these steps to reinstall MS Office, Project, and/or Visio:
- Backup your data.
- Uninstall MS Project and/or Visio.
- Uninstall MS Office.
- Install MS Office 2016 downloaded from the CSL.
- Install MS Project and/or Visio downloaded from the CSL. (Please note that Project and Visio will only appear in the CSL if you've purchased a license.)
- If you receive an error during installation of Microsoft Project/Visio:
This is an incompatibility error which appears when you are using the Office 365 version of Microsoft Office (downloaded via Outlook on the web) and the Campus Software Library version of Microsoft Project/Visio. To rectify this error, please repeat the installation steps above making sure to download all applications from the Campus Software Library.