Office 365 - Automatic Emptying of Deleted Items Folder
This document serves to provide users instructions on how they can turn on or off automatic emptying of the deleted items folder. When this feature is on, once the user logs out of the Outlook Web App or closes the Outlook desktop client, the deleted items folder will be emptied. If this has been done by mistake, it may be possible to recover these deleted items using the instructions provided in this document:Office 365 - Recover deleted items.
Select your client below for instructions:
Outlook on the web
- Log into Outlook on the web.
- Choose Options at the top right, and then under Mail you should see Message options.
- Within Message options check (or un-check) the Empty the Deleted Items folder when I sign out check box.
- Click Save.
Outlook Desktop Client
- On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.
- Select or clear the Empty the Deleted Items folder upon exiting check box.
- Note: To be notified before you empty the Deleted Items folder
- Click the Tools menu
- Click Options
- Click the Other tab
- Click Advanced Options
- Select or clear the Warn before permanently deleting items check box