Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 10-20-16

Approved 10-27-16
ASEC Minutes
2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Thursday, October 20, 2016
53 Bascom Hall

Members Present: 
Bruno Browning; Aaron Crandall; Michael Moscicke; Mallory Musolf; Robert Newsom

Guests: Michael Bernard-Donals, Laurent Heller, Sarah Mangelsdorf, Jake Smith

The meeting was called to order at 2:10 p.m.

The minutes of October 6, 2016, were approved.

General Reports

Vice Chair Bruno Browning reported that a reporter from one of the student newspapers asked questions about shared governance with particular attention to the Amazon situation.  Both Kevin and Bruno responded.

ASM discussed concerns with the University Committee about the Westboro church demonstration on campus earlier today.  The University Committee sent a statement to faculty asking them to ignore the demonstration and if interested, to attend the event being held at the LGBTQ Center.

Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels said the University Committee has been discussing the post-tenure review policy and particularly the second review conducted by the Dean.  The Shared Governance Reception was a success.  The Ad Hoc Committee on Academic Staff Degree Requirements met and elected co chairs, Mara Eisch and Mary Thompson.  The campus diversity statement has been endorsed by the Academic Staff Assembly, Faculty Senate and the University Staff Congress.  The petition to change the number of academic staff in Assembly districts is available for any academic staff member who would like to sign it.

Liaison Reports

SMPH CASI-Aaron Crandall reported on the SMPH town hall that was held with Associate Dean Brian Gittens.

Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee (CEBC)-Jenny Dahlberg will be attending the next CEBC meeting to share information regarding the DCF review. 

Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Relations Finalists: ASEC also discussed the finalists interviews for the Chief Human Resources Officer position.

Guest: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost
The Provost brought a draft Board of Regents policy on consensual relationships.  She would like feedback from ASEC.  UW System has asked for feedback by October 31.  In regards to the Titling and Total Compensation study, the bids for the RFP are in.  The committee put together to evaluate the bids are going to be meeting.  For the topic of performance metrics for the state budget, there has been slow progress, but a lot of unanswered questions.

Guest: Michael Bernard-Donals, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff
ASEC and Michael discussed the possibility of a reminder regarding non-101 salary adjustments in light of the DCF exercise.  There was a discussion regarding who needs to send it, what the message should say and who it should be sent to.  Michael agreed to draft something.

The charge memo for the Ad Hoc Committee on Family Leave will be sent out very soon. 

In regards to the Ad Hoc Committee on Hostile and Intimidating Behavior (HIB), the report from this committee was sent to the University Committee.  There were a set of recommendations in the report including: develop a small group of trained individuals to assist in cases of HIB; provide support for those bringing forward accusations; ensure due process for the person accused; provide training and support for leaders; increase awareness of HIB through workplace events; disseminate information on HIB; create website on HIB; and providing resources on campus to provide work-life integration.

Guest: Laurent Heller, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
In regards to the Amazon Pickup Point, the location will not be the Red Gym.  There are two or three spots on campus that are possible at this point.  There have been no final decisions yet, and the contract terms are still in negotiation. 

Laurent discussed the idea of a shared governance committee or an advisory committee to weigh in on these types of partnerships.  The committee could look at an inventory of things UW-Madison might do and provide feedback.  Laurent asked ASEC to let him know how they felt about this idea.

The new shared governance Budget Committee is going very well.  They have had two broad-ranging discussions.  He expects the next meeting will be about a more specific topic.  The committee is giving him a chance to hear perspectives he would not normally hear.

Laurent briefly mentioned the search for the Chief Human Resources Officer.  He also provided an update on the state budget.  The Board of Regents recently voted on tuition with an increase tied to inflation in the second year.  The request to the state for a pay plan will happen in December.  UW-Madison will be making its first separate request for a pay plan under the new HR system.

Business
•    Room for ASEC Meetings
ASEC decided to continue to use 53 Bascom as its usual meeting location.

•    November Assembly Agenda
The Assembly agenda will include reports from the Ombuds and Employee Assistance Office, the Committee on Women in the University and the policy of minor protection and adult leaders.  A report from the Campus Transportation Committee will need to be delayed.  For business items, Heather and Jake will draft a possible resolution regarding a pay plan that could be included, and there is revised distinguished prefix language that can be voted on as well.  The Assembly will also discuss whether they would like the presiding officer to cut question and answer periods with guests short if proceedings fall behind schedule.

•    Open Letter to Wisconsin Taxpayers
ASEC asked Heather to send this letter to Charlie Hoslet for his input.

Motion to Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nomination to the Academic Staff Appeals Committee and appointment to the HLC Accreditation Advisory Team (Newsom). Seconded. Approved.

Motion to Convene in Open Session (Moscicke). Seconded. Approved.

Business

•    Nominations and Appointments
Motion to Nominate Suzanne Ponik to the Academic Staff Appeals Committee (Moscicke). Seconded. Approved.

Meeting adjourned at 4:35 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff



Keywords:ASEC Minutes   Doc ID:68147
Owner:HEATHER D.Group:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Created:2016-10-31 11:41 CDTUpdated:2016-10-31 11:41 CDT
Sites:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Feedback:  0   0