Azure - Service Description
UW Public Cloud is a CIO-sponsored initiative to deliver public cloud computing services to UW-Madison faculty, staff, and departments. The second offering focuses on Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) in the form of Microsoft Azure.
Version 1.0 of the campus Azure offering, released in November 2016, is a technical pilot that includes:
- The entire suite of generally available Azure compute services including Azure Virtual Machines and Azure Storage
- The ability for customers to process, store, or otherwise propagate internal and public data in Azure
- The ability for users to sign in to the Azure Portal using their NetID
Version 1.0 of the campus Azure offering does not include:
- The ability for customers to provision resources in campus IP space
- The ability for customers to process, store, or otherwise propagate sensitive or restricted data in Azure without an assessment by the Office of Cybersecurity
- The ability for customers to use Azure Preview Features (features not yet generally available)
While we hope to not deactivate Azure subscriptions created during the pilot after the pilot concludes, we may need to make changes to subscription configurations throughout the pilot. If subscription reconfiguration (or subscription deactivation) is necessary, we will coordinate with you prior to making changes to your Azure subscription.
Pricing and complete terms of service are under development. Pilot participants will be charged Azure retail for Azure resources consumed during the pilot.
Please contact your local IT staff for guidance on Azure usage within your unit or department.