Office of Compliance
(please see additional specific emails below)
Phone (608) 265-6018; Relay calls accepted
Fax (608) 263-4725
Hours Monday-Friday; 7:45am-4:30pm
361 Bascom Hall
500 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI 53706
[from the Office of Compliance website:]
Compliance is the action of understanding and adhering to prescribed laws, regulations, standards and policies. At UW-Madison, as is true throughout all of higher education, compliance impacts virtually every aspect of our instructional, research, and service endeavors. From animal research to civil rights protection to information security to tax law, compliance with a federal, state, or local law or regulation or UW System or campus policy touches all of us. As a result, every member of the UW-Madison community has a responsibility to ensure we are aware of and engaging in behaviors that comply with relevant laws and regulations.
The Office of Compliance (OC) was established in mid-2016. In keeping with the approach of other peer institutions and in recognition of the university’s decentralized culture, primary compliance responsibility across the majority of compliance areas remains at the “field” level where specialized subject matter expertise exists. A few specific compliance areas however were identified for centralization within the Office of Compliance.
The role of the Office of Compliance across the majority of compliance areas is to support and provide greater coordination and communication among these compliance units.
Compliance areas that are now located within the Office of Compliance include:
- Americans with Disabilities Act – ADA Coordinator [ email@example.com ]
- Equal Opportunity Complaint Investigation – EO Complaint Investigator [ firstname.lastname@example.org ]
- Health Insurance Privacy and Portability Act – HIPAA Privacy Officer [ email@example.com ]
- Public Records – Public Records Custodian [ firstname.lastname@example.org ] [ file a public records request here: https://compliance.wisc.edu/public-records/ ]
- Title IX of the Education Amendments act of 1972 – Title IX Coordinator [ TitleIX_Coordinator@wisc.edu ]
Staff with expertise in these areas now report directly to the Director of Compliance. The Director of Compliance reports to the Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs.
Additional information: "Trueba: Office of Compliance is a value-added campus resource"
January 17, 2017 | By Greg Bump | http://news.wisc.edu/trueba-office-of-compliance-is-a-value-added-campus-resource/