Symantec Endpoint Protection (Win XP) - Installation Instructions
This document will explain how to install Symantec Endpoint Protection on a Windows XP system. For instructions on installing in Windows Vista, 7, or 8, see Symantec Endpoint Protection (Windows Vista, 7, 8, & 10) - Installation Instructions.
NOTE: Windows 95/98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP are no longer supported by the Help Desk. We can only provide best effort support. If we are unable to resolve your Windows 9x/2000/XP issue, you may be able to find help in Microsoft's Knowledge Base.
These products are no longer actively supported by Microsoft. No further development will take place on these products and security updates are no longer issued. It is highly recommended that you upgrade to Windows 8, 7, or Vista.
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is available to UW faculty, staff and students. The current version of SEP is available for download from https://it.wisc.edu/security-software/. It is also available on the current version of the Security Starter package, available free of charge at the Techstore or either Walk-In Help Desk location.
To start the installation:
- Ensure your computer meets the minimum system requirements:
- Processor: 400 MHz Pentium III
- Memory: 256 MB RAM
- Disk Space: 600 MB
- Display: 1024x768 resolution or higher.
- Locate the installer file that you downloaded. Once you find it, double click it to begin the installation. This may open a security warning. Click Run, to continue the installation.
- On the first screen that appears, click OK to accept the license and continue.
- The next screen you will see is a WinZip Self-Extractor window. Keep the defaults and click Unzip
- Once you are done extracting all the files, click "OK" to start the setup program.
Note: The number of files may vary
- Several install screens will then appear:
- Once the installation is finished, SEP will run LiveUpdate to update SEP and install new definition files. You will see the following screen, which will disappear once the installation and updates have finished.
- Once installation is finished, you may need to reboot to insure all updates are installed. You can then also delete the folder C:\Symantec_Endpoint_Protection11.0.2000, as well as the installer program.