BN - Requesting Benefits Billing Refunds
This procedure provides steps to take when an employees has overpaid insurance premiums in Benefits Billing and requires a refund.
- Employees must pay insurance benefit premiums through payroll deduction or by personal payment through the Benefit Billing process. The UW Service Center sends a monthly billing statement for any amount owed for all insurance benefit plans to each employee. During this period of time, the employee will not have payroll deductions taken for these Benefit Plans.
- Benefit Billing charges and payments are recorded in the HRS system under the Benefits > Benefits Billing menu. The UW Service Center receives payments and allocates funds to specific Benefit Plans in which the employee is enrolled in.
- If a refund needs to be issued to an employee, the payment(s) and charge(s) must be adjusted in Benefits Billing. Either a reallocation of the payment is processed, or a paper check is issued to the employee. If a refund check is issued, the funding is charged against the open credit account of 7315.
- Refund requests are made via a WiscIt ticket initiated by either the UW institution or the UW Service Center Reconciliation Team. The ticket must clearly indicate if funds should be reallocated or if a paper refund check should be issued to the employee.
- To see the actual adjustments in HRS, navigate to: Benefits > Benefits Billing > Calculate and Review Charges > Review Charge Details, enter the employee's Empl_ID and click Search.
- For description of the adjustment, navigate to: Benefits > Benefits Billing > Make Adjustments > Review Adjustment Summary. Enter the employee's Empl_ID number and click Search.