WiscVPN - Connecting with the GlobalProtect (PaloAlto) Client
This document describes how to establish a connection to WiscVPN with the GlobalProtect VPN client software on a computer running Windows or Mac operating systems.
Note: For an overview of WiscVPN, or installation instructions please go to WiscVPN - Overview
Connecting to GlobalProtect
- Open the GlobalProtect client.
- Windows XP, Vista, and 7: Click on Start, Program Files (or All Programs) > GlobalProtect.
Windows 8, 8.1, and 10: Press the
Windows key to open the Start Screen, then begin typing
GlobalProtect until you see the program appear below the search field. Click on the program to launch
Mac OS X: Select the Spotlight in the top right corner or press the
Space keys at the same time and type
- The VPN Client will start.
- Type the following information below into the relevant fields. The default portal is
- Username (This is case sensitive): NetID
- Password: NetID password
Note that it you use both WiscVPN and departmental VPN, only your most recent VPN connection will be remembered in the portal field for future connections.
NOTE: If you are using static VPN, append the appropriate number to your NetID before signing in (e.g. bbadger_1, .._2, .._3). For most users, this will be their NetID with _1 appended to it.
Most users will only have a dynamic VPN, but for more information, see WiscVPN - Static vs. Dynamic IP Addresses.
Faculty and staff must have official appointments with a department that has opted for this service, and they need to have their local account authorized to connect to their department LAN through VPN. You should be notified if you will be using/eligible for Departmental VPN.
The Departmental VPN service, including a list of Departmental portals, can be accessed at http://vpn.wisc.edu
Disconnecting from GlobalProtect
- Opening GlobalProtect:
- On Windows, click on the Show hidden icons arrow in the lower right corner if the GlobalProtect icon is not already displaying in the system tray. Click the icon.
- On Mac, click on the GlobalProtect icon in the top toolbar. It will look like a picture of the earth.
- Choose Disconnect.
- You are now disconnected from GlobalProtect.