Microsoft 365 (Outlook on the web | Outlook for Windows/MacOS) - Using Inbox Rules
This document will provide instructions on how to use Inbox Rules to direct email flow in Outlook on the web, Outlook for Windows and MacOS.
For example, you can create a rule to automatically move all mail sent to a group you're a member of to a specific folder.
- For the best consistency, it is highly recommended that you manage Inbox Rules via Outlook on the web. In addition, when you setup a rule in Outlook on the web, the rule will be applied regardless of the client you are using.
- Inbox rules are run from top to bottom in the order in which they appear in the Rules window. To change the order of rules, click the rule you want to move, and then click the up or down arrow to move the rule to the position you want in the list.
- There is no limit to the number of individual Inbox rules that a user can create on their account, but there is a hidden limit to the total amount of space all of a user's Inbox rules can take up on that user's account. When a user approaches that limit while trying to create a new Inbox rule, their client will generate an error message stating there is insufficient space to store all of the rules. If this occurs for you, you will need to delete some of your rules before you can continue.
- If you are linked to a service account or have full-mailbox access to another account, Outlook will automatically automap the account within your profile. You will not be able to manage the inbox rules on these account - you will need to access the secondary account via Outlook on the web to manage the inbox rules.
- If you setup a rule to forward messages, the forwarded messages appear as messages that are forwarded by you. Use a forward message rule when you want the replies to go to the address the messages are forwarded from, and not to the original sender.
- If you setup a rule to redirect messages, the redirected messages appear as though they came from the original sender. Use a redirect message rule when you want replies to redirected messages to go to the original sender.