FN - Fiscal Year End Considerations
Below are important employee funding considerations when transitioning from one fiscal year to the next.
- Special circumstances for expiring funding, C-Basis funding, and funding rollover are outlined below. For more information on Fiscal Year End, please click here: Fiscal Year End landing page
Funding that is expiring
Avoid encumbrance issues by ensuring that funding is not entered using projects that expire in the outgoing fiscal year.
Even though C-basis (academic year) appointments do not earn wages over the summer, appointment level funding tied to the new fiscal year must be in place effective July 1 to fund prepaid fringe benefits expenses over the summer.
Funding for the new fiscal year is populated in the following order:
- Manual Entry, if desired
- CAT to CA (Compensation Administration Tool to HRS Commitment Accounting) load
An employee's appointment level funding will load from CAT to HRS Budget Funding Data Entry page only if appointment level funding tied to the new fiscal year does not already exist for the employee. Any existing appointment level funding in place before the CAT to CA load process was manually entered by a campus user and will not be overwritten. Results from the CAT to CA load will be sent to campuses for review to assist in ensuring funding is properly in place for the new fiscal year.
- Rollover from outgoing fiscal year to new fiscal year
An employee’s appointment-level funding is copied from the outgoing fiscal year to the new fiscal year only if:
- appointment-level funding tied to the new fiscal year does not already exist, which could have been manually entered or loaded from CAT; and
- Appointment-level funding on the outgoing fiscal year is valid in SFS at the start of the new fiscal year.
- department-level funding tied to the new fiscal year does not already exist; and
- department-level funding on the outgoing fiscal year is valid in SFS at the start of the new fiscal year.
It is important Controllers ensure all funding edits are in place during the rollover process. It is also important that Grant Accountants have Budget Control Dates correctly set to prevent projects from rolling over that will not be valid on July 2.
Note that anyone hired before July 1 who is missing appointment level funding before the rollover in early June will need appointment level funding entered for both the outgoing and the new fiscal year.
Determining which process populated an employee's funding for the new fiscal year
Values Displayed on Budget Funding Data Entry Page Funding Population Method Last Changed By Date Entered Manual Entry a specific HRS user's Empl ID and Name Outside the lockout period in early June (see published timeline) CAT to CA Load UW_BAT_FI During the lockout period in early June (see published timeline) Funding Rollover UW_BAT_FI_FYE2 During the lockout period in early June (see published timeline)