Kaltura - Identification and configuration of active Kaltura players with your campus environment
Overview of Kaltura players defined in Kaltura and LMS environments, and instructions how to minimize the number of unique players in order to facilitate more effective player management.
NOTE: This document is expressly intended for campus Kaltura Administrators. Please contact your campus designee, if you have questions.
This document will walk you through the identification and configuration of the most commonly used Kaltura players. To begin, you first will need to identify the players currently configured in your environment. Once you have the player IDs on hand, you may be able to consolidate some of these players to a smaller subset of players.
The players to identify:
To locate the players configured in the KMS, search for the following keywords in the admin interface (https://yourKMS domain.wisconsin.edu/admin) for your instance:
- playerId (your main KMS player)
- playerEditId (player to be used in the edit screens, can be same as playerId)
- playerModerationId (used only for moderation preview of content, can be the same as playerId)
- quizPlayerId (player used to display IVQ content - must be based on an original "Do Not Delete" Quizplayer)
- embed "skins" are also players, and can be found at https://yourinstance.wisconsin.edu/admin/config/tab/embed. You may have more than one such player configured to allow for various purposes, such as providing a player with download button to be used selectively. The primary video embed skin can be the same configuration as your main KMS player. The players are configured as uiConfId at the bottom of the page.
- playlist players: there are two playlist players to configure. These two players differ in their layout defined by the embed size for each, as well as the location of the list in relation to the video canvas. Look for embedV2 in your configuration. You may first need to enable embedV2support to reveal those player IDs. While on that page, we recommend you set the embed sizes to 800x308 for the horizontal player, and to 640x676 for the vertical layout player. The IDs are found below at V2_dark_horizontal and V2_dark_vertical.
- the "PlaylistPage" player playerId is another unique entry in the KMS configuration, which refers to the player found when channel playlists are played. With the v2 GUI in the KMS, you should set this player's ID to the one of your horizontal playlist player, but if you are still using the original KMS layout pre V2, the player should be your main player, not a playlist player.
Additional players can be configured within the KMS, although we recommend to leave them at their default (blank, or use playerId ) unless your needs require to enable custom configurations for one of these players. In that case, the recommendation is to always base your player on your main player, changing only features you need to alter.
Locate all the players mentioned in the KAF configuration ( likely found at a domain that includes your instance ID, similar to https://yourKAFinstance-#.mediaspace.kaltura.com/admin) and set their values to the same player IDs you are using in the KMS. Not all of these are actually in use at this time, but to prevent future problems, it is advised to keep KAF and KMS configurations closely matched. In addition to the player configurations shared with the KMS, the KAF admin interface also sets player IDs in the Browse And Embed menu.
- playerId, playerEditId, playerModerationId defines the default Kaltura players in your KAF instance. All can be configured with your default KMS player ID
- BSEPlayerId sets the main BSE player - again, use your main playerId also used in the KMS
D2L players (old integration) - If you disable this when you enable BSE, ignore these configuration values.
Locate the player config variables in the D2L admin interface by drilling down to d2l.3rdParty.Kaltura.UIConfId
- d2l.3rdParty.Kaltura.UIConfId.VideoKDP - the org value there is your currently active player in D2L. The value entered there can match your main KMS player.
- d2l.3rdParty.Kaltura.UIConfId.AudioKDP is a custom audio player used in this integration. You can use the main video player ID, or a custom audio player that has a lower window height.
- d2l.3rdParty.Kaltura.UIConfId.SearchKDP is used in the search interface. Again, use your main player ID.
Now that we know where players are configured, choose the players in your KMC Universal Studio you want to configure and update. To be efficient, we recommend to consolidate as many players as possible to the same player ID. Begin with the default player, which most likely will be the ID you have currently configured as playerId in your KMS.
For a full set of set of updated players, most administrators will need to create/configure unique players for these uses:
- Main/default KMS Player
- Quiz Player
- Embed Player Horizontal
- Embed Player Vertical
- Audio Player
The majority of settings that define these players are identical. The default KMS player can be used as a base configuration for all players. Only a small subset of features are different within those players.
The following links take you to KB documents that detail the player configuration for each of these players.