Content Authoring Phase 3 Pilot - Fall 2017 - Uploading a Storyline or Captivate module to WordPress, and configuring a Canvas assignment to get the grade passed back
This document covers basic information on uploading a Storyline or Captivate module to WordPress, and configuring a Canvas assignment with LTI to get the grade passed back from the module to your course for the Fall 2017 Content Authoring Phase 3 Pilot.
- Login the Fall 2017 Content Authoring Pilot Wordpress site at grassblade.doit.wisc.edu/test/wp-admin/
- Click xAPI Content on the left menu.
- Click Add New next to xAPI Content.
- Add a title for your module.
- Scroll down to xAPI Content Details. Click Choose File and select the .zip file of your Captivate or Storyline module.
- Check other options as appropriate for how you plan to use your module. For example:
- Check Completion Tracking if you plan to use completion tracking.
- Add a required Passing Percentage.
- Check Show Results to Users if you want your students to see what score they got.
- Click Publish.
- Click Pages on the left menu.
- Click Add New.
- Add a title for your page along with any text you would like to appear before your module in the rich text editor.
- In the upper right there is an xAPI Content box. Select your module from the drop-down list and click Update. Ignore the message that pops up that says "grassblade.doit.wisc.edu says: You can add the shortcode [grassblade] in the content to change the placement of the content." If you use the shortcode it will break the grade passback.
- Click Publish to publish the page.
- Below the main editing panel you see LTI Information. Keep this open when you log into Canvas. I will refer to this page as the GrassBlade editing page below.
First you need to add an app for the Captivate or Storyline module you uploaded to WordPress:
- Login to Canvas: canvas.wisc.edu
- Navigate to the course you want to add your Captivate or Storyline module to.
- Click on Settings in your course navigation menu.
- Click on the Apps tab.
- Click on the View App Configurations button near the top.
- Click the + App button
- Configuration Type is Manual Entry.
- Name can be something that will be easily understandable and unique to this module. For example: GrassBlade LTI – UW-System Quiz v1.
- Copy the Consumer Key from the GrassBlade editing page above into the Consumer Key for your Canvas LTI app.
- Copy the Consumer Secret from the GrassBlade editing page above into the Shared Secret for your Canvas LTI app.
- Copy the LTI Link from the GrassBlade editing page into the Launch URL for your Canvas LTI app.
- Domain should be grassblade.doit.wisc.edu.
- Set Privacy to Public.
After you've set everything up for your LTI app, your window will look
similar to this - some values have been obscured as they are unique to
the demo module used to create this document:
- Click Submit.
- Click on the Assignments tool.
- Add a new assignment, by clicking on the + Assignment button.
- Add an Assignment Name.
- Add how many points you would like to award for the grade and select the Assignment Group and Display Grade as you would like for your course.
- In Submission Type select External Tool.
- In the Enter or find an External Tool URL text window paste the LTI link found in the GrassBlade editing page noted above. Check Load This Tool In a New Tab:
- Click Save.
You can also add the assignment in the Modules tool.
- Case Scenario Critical Reader - Alternative Tools (UW-Madison)
- Content Authoring Phase 3 Pilot - Fall 2017
- Content Authoring Phase 3 Pilot - Fall 2017 - Pressbooks
- Content Authoring Phase 3 Pilot - Fall 2017 - Storyline
- Content Authoring Phase 3 Pilot - Fall 2017 - Captivate
- Content Authoring Phase 3 Pilot - Fall 2017 - Exporting data from Learning Locker and working with the data in Excel
- Content Authoring Phase 3 Pilot - Fall 2017 - Sending a grade from a Storyline or Captivate module in WordPress to Canvas