Proposing Directed/Independent Study or Thesis Courses
Individual study course are different from many courses in that they do not have a pre-defined curriculum and there is no group instruction. As such there is seldom a syllabus developed for these one on one student-faculty instruction.
However there are are a number of areas where this type of course must follow the same requirements as all other for-credit courses:
- they must have learning outcomes
- students must be provided with information about how they will be graded
- information about the amount of work and assignments/deliverables that are required
- information that outlines the frequency and nature of the student-instructor contact
- must follow the credit hour policy
- If the course number is less than 700, the course must only be used in ways that adhere to the Policy on Directed/Independent Study for Undergraduates
In place of a syllbus this can be documented using a directed/independent study or thesis agreement form. A template for this form can be submitted in place of a syllabus for a course proposal to create this type course.