UW Digital ID (Win) - Exporting a PKI Digital Certificate from Internet Explorer or Outlook
This document explains how to export your digital certificate from the Internet Explorer web browser. This may be necessary if upon downloading the certificate for the first time or upon renewal, your e-mail client is unable to locate the certificate. This happens most often with the Thunderbird e-mail client.
In Internet Explorer, do the following:
- Pull down the tools menu and select Internet Options.
- Click on Content, then on Certificates.
- Highlight the cert you want to export then click on Export.
- The Certificate Export Wizard will now open. Click on Next.
- Click on "Yes, export the private key" then click Next.
- Put a check mark next to "Include all certificates in certificate path, if possible" then click on Next.
- Choose a password, which you will need to know when you import the cert into the Thunderbird e-mail client, click on Next.
- Give your exported cert a name and click "browse".
- Choose a location to save the file, make it somewhere safe that will not be deleted, remeber the location so that you can find it when you import the cert into your Thunderbird client. Then click on Next.
- Click on Finish.
- The certificate has now been exported in Microsoft .PFX format, which can be read by Thunderbird. You can now go to your Thunderbird email client and import the certificate from the location that you saved it.