Canvas - Options to Restrict Student Access (UW-Madison)
Explanation for setting student course restrictions
This KB.doc is a UW-Madison version of one created by Oregon State University's IS Academic Technology.To see their document, please click on the following link - http://learn.oregonstate.edu/sites/learn.oregonstate.edu/files/handouts/course_access_settings.pdf
- Restrict students from viewing course after end date
- Restrict students from viewing course before start date
- If you leave the settings default (neither of the above buttons selected), your course site will be visible as read-only to instructor and students when the semester ends and for as long as the course site is retained. Students will not have access to quiz questions in read-only course sites.
- No action is required by instructors to adjust these settings. Furthermore, we highly recommend you leave them as-is. However, if you want to make changes to student access you must do so before the semester ends. After the semester ends, you cannot make any changes to course content or settings.
- No matter which options are set for student access, instructor access to past-semester course sites will always be read-only.
Detailed Explanations of Settings and Options
If you want to know more details regarding these settings and options, please read on. The remainder of this document will examine three student access options, explain how to extend access to your course to a subset of students, and end with a summary table:
Options B and C
Introductory notes regarding Option B and Option C
Option B: Select the option to restrict student access after end date:
Option C: Enter a start date and select the option to restrict student access before start date.
Final notes regarding OPTION B and OPTION C
Only if you also check one of the "Restrict student" check boxes (as noted in Options B & C) will the course becomes completely inaccessible to students outside the date range you set.
Extend Access to Your Course for a Subset of StudentsYou may want some students to have access to a course beyond the semester and/or course end date. For example: to give students with an incomplete the opportunity to finish all course requirements.
- Create a new section by following the tutorial located here: How do I add a section to a course?.
- Enter the start and end dates for the new section by following the tutorial located here: How do I edit the details for a course section?.
- Make sure the "Users can only participate in the course between these dates" box is checked.
- This checkbox is what causes section dates to override course dates. By checking this box, you are telling Canvas that you want the section dates to take precedence over the course dates.
|Canvas Selections||Results for Students||Results for instructors|
|"Users can only participate in the course between these dates" - checked||If instructor enters semester Start and End dates, course is read-only to students outside the date range.||Course is read-only for instructors once semester ends.|
In order for the "Restrict Students" boxes to work, the "Users can only participate in the course between these dates" must be checked, and Start/End date(s) must be set.
If the "Users can only participate option is not checked the "Restrict students" boxes will not do anything according to the course dates
|"Restrict students from view course after end date" - not checked||Student sees course listed in “Past Enrollments” and can access the course in read-only mode. Quiz contents are not accessible.||Course is read-only for instructors once semester ends |
|“Restrict students from viewing course after end date” – checked and “Users can only participate” checked||Student will not see the course listed in “Past Enrollments”. If student had bookmarked the course link, student will get “Unauthorized” page. (If instructor wants to override this behavior and open the course longer than semester end date, course end date must be set AND “Users can only participate in the course between these dates” must be checked in order to override the semester end date.)||Course is read-only for instructors once semester ends|
|“Restrict students from viewing course before start date” – not checked||Student sees course listed in “My Courses”, and is accessible if published.||Course is read-only for instructors once semester ends|
|“Restrict students from viewing course before start date” – checked and “Users can only participate” checked||Student will see the course listed in “My Courses” but will not have a link to the course (This is actually no different from just setting the start date and checking the “Users can only participate in the course between these dates”).||Course is read-only for instructors once semester ends|
- Learn@OregonState - Canvas - http://learn.oregonstate.edu/canvas
- Canvas Help Guides - https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides