This document explains how to troubleshoot the Windows error message "The application log file is full." This error applies to Windows 2000/XP only.
NOTE: Windows 95/98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Vista are no longer supported by the Help Desk. We can only provide best effort support. If we are unable to resolve your Windows 9x/2000/XP/Vista issue, you may be able to find help in Microsoft's Knowledge Base.
These products are no longer actively supported by Microsoft. No further development will take place on these products and security updates are no longer issued. It is highly recommended that you upgrade to Windows 10 or 8.
SYMPTOMWindows 2000 or XP gives the following error message:
"The Application Log File is Full."
SOLUTIONChange the event viewer settings to "Overwrite as needed."
- Click on the Start Menu.
- Choose Programs.
- Choose Administrative Tools
- Click on Event Viewer.
- Click on the Start menu.
- Choose Settings and click on Control Panel, for XP just click on Control Panel.
- Double-click on Administrative Tools.
- Double-click on Event Viewer.
- Right click on Application and select Properties.
- Under the General tab, select the Overwrite events as needed option.