Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 10-26-17

Approved 11-2-17

ASEC Minutes
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, October 26, 2017
53 Bascom Hall

Members Present: 
Bruno Browning; Aaron Crandall; Jenny Dahlberg; Beth Giles; Mallory Musolf; Kevin Niemi, chair; Jim Rogers; Deb Shapiro; Lindsey Stoddard Cameron

Guests:
Rebecca Beebe, Lori Berquam, Tim Dalby, Heather Daniels, Ron Harris, Lauren Hasselbacher, Jennifer Heintz, Sharon Kahn, Mary Luther, Sarah Mangelsdorf, Patrick Sheehan, Cathy Trueba

The meeting was called to order at 2:03 p.m.

The minutes of October 19, 2017, were approved as distributed.

General Reports

ASEC Chair Kevin Niemi reported that he would be attending the UW System Representatives meeting on October 27, with presentations by UW System Vice President for Academic Affairs Jim Henderson on the reorganization and by Wayne Guthrie on the Title and Total Compensation Study. Kevin also mentioned that the first Academic Staff Institute planning meeting was held. ASI will take place on March 14, 2018.

Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that the first Academic Staff Chat of the year was held on October 24. The discussion was on unique issues for international academic staff on work visas, and the session went well. Heather mentioned that the request for increase in professional development grant funding was discussed with the other governance Secretaries and the Chiefs of Staff. Matt Mayrl indicated a response on this matter in the near future, hopefully by the end of the calendar year.

Liaison Reports

Aaron Crandall will be meeting with the Communications Committee in November to discuss their current projects.

Business
•    November Assembly Agenda
ASEC discussed the addition of a statement to the ASEC report regarding some of the discussions in the October meeting. Beth and Deb are working on resolutions related to policies passed by the Board of Regents at their October meeting. A report on the new policy on sexual harassment and sexual violence will also be added to the agenda.

Guests: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost; Lori Berquam, Dean of Students; Lauren Hasselbacher, Title IX Coordinator; Patrick Sheehan, Director of Workforce Relations, OHR; Cathy Trueba, Director of the Office of Compliance
The guests reviewed the new campus policy on sexual harassment and sexual violence, which was developed under the auspices of the Provost’s advisory group and as a result of System policy changes and other legal changes. This came before ASEC in May for initial discussion with specific regard to the employee training program. At this time, over 80% of the campus workforce has completed the training. There will be another push in early November. The plan is for the training to be refreshed every 3 years or so, and there have been over 2000 responses to the feedback survey, which have given the training developers good ideas on how to improve the training. ASEC encouraged more customized examples of scenarios and a pre-test function that would gauge the individual’s knowledge of the topic and campus resources before beginning the training. Regarding the policy, the Personnel Policies and Procedures Committee is working on a new chapter of ASPP to address Title IX-related matters. ASEC was encouraged to send any other feedback on the policy to Lori and Cathy. The Assembly will also need to rescind language in a prior Assembly document so that it doesn’t conflict with the new policy.

Guest: Mary Luther, Office of Human Resources

Mary reported that the job family functional teams have been working diligently on job families and subfamilies, looking at current titles as well as market data and titles in use at other universities. They are gearing up for listening sessions for all of the job families, where there will be feedback about the family/subfamily descriptions. Career levels are currently being discussed at the HR level; discussion with project teams and governance will follow. The goal is to have a framework for levels (which are similar to the current prefix system) by the end of January. Mary shared a template of the job levels and stated that these should be sent out for feedback on November 10. There are also discussions about how the number of years of experience relates to job levels. After families, subfamilies, and levels are finalized, titles will be next.
Guest: Rebecca Beebe, Jennifer Heintz, Sharon Kahn; Nominating Committee Co-Chairs

The co-chairs discussed the committee’s priorities over the next year with ASEC. Things are going well and they are happy with the advent of the new Committee Tracker website. Future plans revolve around the Committee Tracker, particularly using it to capture committee interest. The plan is to use the tracker for standing committee elections this spring. Kevin also volunteered to share news of committee vacancies with the Assembly as needed to help facilitate larger candidate pools.

Motion to Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) discuss Nomination to Vice Provost for University Libraries Search and Screen Committee. (Browning). Seconded. Approved.

Motion to Convene in Open Session. (Browning). Seconded. Approved.

Business
•    Nominations
Motion to nominate Paloma Celis Carbajal and Sheila Stoeckel to serve on the Vice Provost for University Libraries Search and Screen Committee. (Dahlberg). Seconded. Approved.
•    Response to VCRGE Proposal for Research Professor Title
ASEC reviewed a draft of a response on this issue. Heather will make revisions and bring a new version to ASEC for its meeting on November 2.
•    ASEC Feedback to the Board of Regents-Required Disclosures for Participation in Certain UW System Services and Programs
ASEC discussed the proposed policy further. Heather will submit ASEC’s feedback via the UW System web portal.

Meeting adjourned at 4:40 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Jake Smith, Deputy Secretary of the Academic Staff



Keywords:ASEC Minutes   Doc ID:78088
Owner:HEATHER D.Group:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Created:2017-11-07 16:34 CSTUpdated:2017-11-08 14:58 CST
Sites:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Feedback:  0   0