Cisco VoIP - Basic Troubleshooting for Desk Phones
Basic troubleshooting steps for issues with a Cisco VoIP desk phone. Should be used for issues like being unable to place calls, screen is not functioning, phone is frozen, etc.
- Un-plug the phone from power, wait 5 seconds and plug it back in.
- Check the power source.
- Is the power cable plugged into the wall?
- Check the connection between the power cable and the power cube, this can become loose. (Note, this is located between the phone and the wall)
- Is the power cable plug securely into the back of the phone?
- Check the Ethernet connection. Cable configuration should be data jack to phone to computer.
- Is the cable plugged securely into the wall jack?
- Is the cable plugged securely into the port on the phone? The cable should lead from the wall port directly to the phone.
- Is the cable plugged securely into the computer? The cable should lead from the phone directly to the computer.
- Are any of the cable connections loose or poorly fitted? The cable should not be jammed into a jack but it also should not be wiggly. Old cables are a common issue. If you can hold the cable a “certain way” in the jack and the Ethernet reconnects this is an indicator of a bad cable.