If you are leaving the university and own departmental data, you are responsible for transferring ownership of departmental data to another account to avoid departmental data loss as a result of your departure.
Below are recommendations and best practices on how to handle departmental data that is owned by your UW-Madison G Suite account prior to leaving the university.Recommended steps to take before you leave:
- Use Team Drives when collaborating with others
- Get a summary of data that is in your UW-Madison G Suite account
- Transfer ownership of your UW-Madison G Suite data to Team Drives or a personal Google account
You can obtain a summary of your UW-Madison G Suite data to learn what departmental data needs to be transferred to Team Drives.
- Transfer departmental data from My Drive to Team Drives
- Transfer personal data from My Drive to personal Google account
Prior to your departure, you are encouraged to transfer your departmental data from My Drive to Team Drives as soon as possible to prevent your department from losing access to its data.
If you are storing personal data in your UW-Madison G Suite account and would like to continue to access that data after you are no longer affiliated with UW-Madison, you can can transfer that information to a personal Google account.
Note: The UW-Madison G Suite does not provide assistance in transferring personal data from your UW-Madison G Suite account to your personal Google account.
Use Google Takeout: Export Data Using Google Takeout
Note: Google Takeout is not supported. If you need assistance downloading your data, please refer to the following doc: Download your data