Engage - How to provide access to Engage version of eText for courses using a vendor Digital Learning Tool
This document describes how an instructor can provide access to a Unizin Engage version of an eText if they are using a Digital Learning Tool (DLT) from publishers like Pearson and Cengage during the Spring 2018 eText pilot.
Most instructors who use a DLT like Cengage MindTap or Pearson MyLab and Mastering or Revel have the option of providing a Unizin Engage version of the eText to their students. The advantage of the Unizin Engage version of the eText is that it allows printing and also can be accessed by the student during their entire tenure at UW-Madison. Instructors would only need to provide this link at the request of their students. To provide this link to your students you can follow these instructions:
- Activate the Engage eText Canvas menu option as outlined in Engage - Add the Unizin Engage tool to your Canvas course (UW-Madison) .
- Click on the Engage eText Canvas menu link which will bring you to a page with a purple "Launch Unizin Engage" button. It will look similar to this:
- Copy the URL in your browser URL bar:
- We suggest disabling the Engage eText course menu option to encourage students to continue using your primary Digital Learning Tool and not get confused by clicking into the Engage eText version accidentally. To disable the Engage eText Canvas menu option:
- Click on Settings.
- Click on the Navigation tab.
- Click the gear next to "Engage eText" and select Disable.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Save.
- Create a Page or Announcement in Canvas where you paste the text below or something similar edited to your liking and replace the relevant bold bracketed text:
Even though this course is primarily using [Vendor Digital Learning Tool - Cengage MindTap, Pearson MyLab and Mastering, etc.] to deliver your eText, you can also access it via Unizin Engage. Engage allows you to print up to 50 pages at a time and is also available for you to access beyond this course. To access the eText in Engage please visit:
[Paste the URL from step 3 above]
Please note that I will not be using the other features of Engage and to only use Engage for the printing and access beyond the course.
If you would like assistance with this process please contact the eText pilot team.