Windows 7 & Vista - Show hidden files
This document will explain how to show hidden files on your hard drive file system.
CAUTION: Windows stores many important settings in hidden files and folders. Do not modify or delete hidden files if you do not know precisely what will happen as a result. DoIT assumes no liability for data loss that occurs as a result of this procedure.
- Click on Start (the windows logo on the taskbar) > Computer
- In that window click on Organize > Folder and Search Options
- Then, click on the View tab at the top of the window.
- Under Advanced Settings, locate Hidden files and folders. Select Show hidden files and folders just below that.
- Click on OK
- Hidden files will now be shown.
Note: Hidden files will be greyed out. This is merely to indicate that they are a hidden file. You can still use them as though they were a normal file.