MFA-Duo - Generating Backup Codes for Future Use
This document will guide you through the process of generating backup codes for future use should you be in a situation where you can't bring in your MFA device (such as a secured location or a classroom where you're taking a test and can't have any devices).
Generating Backup Codes for Future Use
- Navigate to the Duo Device Management Portal at www.mfa.wisc.edu. Authenticate with your UW-Madison NetID and Password. You will also be asked to approve the login through your existing multi-factor authentication devices.
- Click the Backup Passcodes box
- Click on the Get Passcodes box to generate new passcodes
- Click on View and Print Passcodes
- Click Print to print your passcodes or write them down if you do not have access to a printer
Handling Your Backup Codes
- Backup codes should be stored in a secure but accessible location (such as a locked drawer or cabinet) while not in use.
- Generating new backup codes will invalidate your previous backup codes.
- Backup codes will expire after four months; The expiration date is displayed on the print-out below the passcodes.
- Each code can only be used once so we recommend crossing them off as you use them.