Is it possible for an L&S undergraduate to declare an additional major outside the College of Letters & Science?

The following information explains the policy for L&S undergraduates interested in declaring an additional major outside the College of Letters & Science in the School of Education.

Major Declaration Policy/Procedure for Additional Major Outside the College of Letters & Science (L&S):

Effective Fall 2018, L&S undergraduate students may declare one additional major in the School of Education.  The two options for L&S undergraduates in Education are: 

1.    Education Studies

2.    Theatre and Drama

These are currently the only non-L&S majors that L&S students may declare.  These additional majors are available to all L&S undergraduates (i.e. BA/BS, AMEP, BA/BS-Journalism, BA/BS-Social Work, and Bachelor of Music student) who meet admission requirements for the additional majors. 

The following policies apply to L&S students with an additional non-L&S major.

  • At this  time, only the two School of Education majors listed above are available for  L&S undergraduates to pursue outside the College of Letters & Science. Additional  majors in a school/college other than the School of Education or the College ofLetters & Science may not be declared.
  • Prior  to declaring one of the two approved Education majors, L&S student must alreadyhave at least one L&S majordeclared.
  • In  order to graduate, an L&S undergraduate must complete at least one L&S major in addition to all otherL&S degree requirements.
  • L&S will not delay graduating students who have not completed the requirements for  majors outside of L&S.  Thus, studentswith these additional Education majors will be graduated at the end of thesemester in which they complete their L&S requirements, even if School ofEducation major requirements have not been completed. 
  • An L&S student who will be graduated without completing their declared School of Education major should work with their advisor in the School of Education to determine whether options are available to them to finish up their additional  major in Education. 

To declare an additional majorin the School of Education:  

An L&S student must meet with the major advisor for either the Education Studies major or the Theatre and Drama major in the School ofEducation to complete the major declaration form.  Once the form has been successfully completedand signed by the advisor, it should be forwarded to the appropriate person inthe School of Education for processing. The designated person in Education will send the completed major declaration form to the L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Services email account (LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU) for review.  Once the request to add the additional major has been approved, a dean's action will be submitted allowing the student to carry an additional non-L&S major in the College of Letters & Science.  The additional major will then appear on the  student's record. 

Students are expected to meet regularly with their School of Education  academic advisor and their L&S major advisor regarding major and/or degree  requirements.

  • Education  and L&S, along with other campus partners, will work with the Registrar's Office to get the major declaration process automated for declaring additional majors outside the home school/college. 

To cancel a second L&Smajor: 

L&S students who have admitted to an additional major in Education and later wish to cancel the major must speak with their Education advisor tocancel either the Education Studies or Theatre and Drama major. Once the official paperwork for canceling the Education major has been completed, it should be forwarded to L&S Academic Deans' Services (LSDEANS@SAA.LS.WISC.EDU) for processing.


  • UW-Madison students not earning their undergraduate degree in the College of Letters & Science only need to fulfill L&S major requirements.
  • An L&S undergraduate student cannot pursue two degree programs at the same time.
  • An L&S undergraduate student who is interested in pursuing a second degree program/major outside of l&S must first complete his/her degree in L&S and then apply to the other school/college on the UW-Madison campus for a second undergraduate degree.

See Also:

Keywords:AMAJ, major outside L&S, additional major, non-L&S major, Theatre and Drama, Education Studies, additional major, declaring a second major, major declaration policy, School of Education, Theatre and Drama, Education Studies, BMAJ   Doc ID:81546
Owner:Tori R.Group:College of Letters & Science
Created:2018-04-10 21:50 CDTUpdated:2018-10-30 21:15 CDT
Sites:College of Letters & Science
Feedback:  0   0