HR - Organizational Department Additions and Changes
This document provides guidance for institutions about requesting Organizational Department updates.
- There are three types of Organizational Department (Org Dept) updates:
- Add new
- Change name
- If the Org Dept update results in a large volume of employee movement from one Org Dept to another, an Org Dept Mass Update may be requested.
- If an Org Dept Mass Update is performed, a Funding Mass Update may be requested.
- UW Madison Organizational Department requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 1: Complete Request Form
1. Organizational Department request forms are located on the UW Service Center Human Resources webpage, in the Organizational Department Changes tile.
- https://uwservice.wisconsin.edu/administration/human-resources/ (log-in required)
2. There are two types of request forms:
- PDF - required for all requests
- Excel - use when the number of Org Dept updates exceeds the space available on the PDF form
3. Download request form(s) appropriate for your request.
- It is preferred that Org Dept information is entered electronically on each form.4. The PDF form must include all three approval signatures.
To the top
5. The funding source provided for HRS Department Level Funding should be valid in SFS prior to submitting the Org Dept request.
Step 2: Consider Organizational Department Mass Update
- The Service Center has the capability to mass load organizational department changes from an Excel template to employee records in HRS. If the Organizational Department Request results in organizational department changes for 100+ employees, an Org Dept Mass Update may be requested.
- If an Org Dept Mass Update is requested, the Service Center HR team will populate an Excel template and return it to the requesting institution for review and updates.
- The Org Dept Mass Update will be performed after new organizational departments have been created in HRS and after receiving the updated mass update Excel template from the institution.
Step 3: Consider Mass Funding Update
- A new Appointment-level funding value needs to be added anytime an employee is hired, rehired, transferred, or their Organizational Department changes; see FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
- The Service Center has the capability to mass load Appointment-level funding changes from an Excel template to employee records in HRS.
Step 4: Submit Email
- Once the request form is complete and ready to submit, attach the request form to an email.
To: Send to the appropriate Affinity Group; see UWSC Support - Get help from the UW Service Center Support Team.To the top
Subject: FY[YY] Organizational Department Request [Business Unit]
- Note: UW Madison Org Dept requests should be sent to email@example.com, who will review and submit to AG1.
Body: In addition to noting the Org Dept request form attached to the email, be sure to note if you are also requesting Service Center assistance with updating employee Job Data, Position and/or Appointment-level funding records in HRS by use of a mass update process.
- HR - HR Report List
- FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
- FN - Finance Report List
- FN - Mass Funding Update
- UWSC Support - Get help from the UW Service Center Support Team