HR - Organizational Department Additions and Changes
This document provides guidance for institutions about requesting Organizational Department updates.
- There are three types of Organizational Department (Org Dept) updates:
- Add new
- Change name
- If the Org Dept update results in a large volume of employee movement from one Org Dept to another, an Org Dept Mass Update may be requested.
- If an Org Dept Mass Update is performed, a Funding Mass Update may be requested.
Step 1: Complete Request Form
A. Organizational Department request forms are located on the UW Service Center Human Resources webpage, in the Organizational Department Changes tile.
- https://uwservice.wisconsin.edu/administration/human-resources/ (log-in required)
B. Download and complete the top portion of the PDF request form.
C. Complete the rest of the PDF form if space allows; if the number of changes exceeds the space available, download and complete the Excel spreadsheet.
- It is preferred that Org Dept information is entered electronically on each form.
- The PDF form must include all three approval signatures.
To the top
- The funding source provided for HRS Department Level Funding should be valid in SFS prior to submitting the Org Dept request.
Step 2: Consider Organizational Department Mass Job Update
- The Service Center has the capability to mass load Organizational Department changes from an Excel template to employee Job records in HRS. If the Org Dept Request results in Org Dept changes for around 100 employees or more, an Org Dept Mass Job Update may be requested.
- If an Org Dept Mass Job Update is requested, the Service Center HR team will populate an Excel template with active employees and return it to the requesting institution for review and updates.
- The Org Dept Mass Job Update will be performed after the new Org Dept(s) have been created in HRS and after receiving the updated Mass Job Update Excel template from the institution.
- For all Mass Job Updates, Position data will also be updated if employees are in a Position.
Step 3: Consider Mass Funding Update
- A new Appointment-level funding value needs to be added anytime an employee is hired, rehired, transferred, or their Organizational Department changes; see FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
- The Service Center has the capability to mass load Appointment-level funding changes from an Excel template to employee records in HRS. If the Org Dept Request results in Org Dept changes for around 100 employees or more, a Funding Mass Update may be requested.
Step 4: Submit Email
- Once the PDF request form is complete and ready to submit, attach the request form to an email. Also attach the Excel file if there wasn't enough space available on the PDF form for all the changes.
To: Send to the appropriate Affinity Group; see UWSC Support - Get help from the UW Service Center Support Team.
Subject: FY[YY] Organizational Department Request [Business Unit]
- Note: UW Madison Org Dept requests should be sent to email@example.com; OHR will review and submit to AG1.
Body: In addition to noting the email attachment(s), be sure to note if you are also requesting Service Center assistance with updating employee Job Data, Position and/or Appointment-level funding records in HRS by use of a mass update process.
Step 5: Reminders
A. In addition to entering a new Appointment-level funding value, other updates may be needed when an employee's Organizational Department changes
- An employee's Time and Labor Security may need to be updated; see TL - Create and Maintain Time and Labor Security
- An employee's Tenure Home may need to be updated, especially if a tenure granting Org Dept is inactivated; see HR - Tenure Tracking
- When a new Org Dept is created, Workflow for Additional Pay (WfAP) Approvers need to be set up; see PY - Workflow for Additional Pay Approver Maintenance Page
- HR - HR Report List
- FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
- FN - Finance Report List
- FN - Mass Funding Update
- UWSC Support - Get help from the UW Service Center Support Team