Data Retention and Emergency Data Requests for D2L and Regular Moodle Courses
D2L and Moodle were retired on June 1, 2018. Users will no longer have access to credit or noncredit courses, or any other types of materials or activities in the retired systems. Certain course data will be archived for a limited time in a separate retention environment to accommodate unexpected and unplanned-for urgent needs for data that may emerge after the retirement date (not mass-export of course materials or data, which should have been completed prior to June 1, 2018).
Instructors will be able to submit requests to acquire course data under restricted circumstances (see below for details) through appointed administrative staff from mid-July 2018 through January 2019.
During the D2L and Moodle data request periods, faculty and instructors will need to complete a data-needs form to request certain course information. The form is available at https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_07bnX8BfOyO6abz.
Data requests will be considered in cases of grade challenges or errors, or to verify completion of coursework. Requests received directly from students will not be fulfilled. Requests will be approved on a case-by-case basis and the data will be provided within five business days.
Listed below are examples of suitable and legitimate requests for access, to be fulfilled by appointed administrators.
- Data needed for a school, college, institute, division or program accreditation process
- Coursework records and/or course data needed to respond to a grade challenge from a student
- Data needed for campus compliance needs (e.g. HIPAA)
The following examples are requests that are not supportable, largely due to the anticipated number of requests that could be made, the complexity of fulfilling the request, etc.
- Student data or submitted work to be used as evidence for the purpose of faculty writing letters of reference for students
- Students requesting downloads of their work to be used for multiple purposes (e.g. employment, grad school applications)
- General course content, files, or materials in the LMS
- Data and files from the My Locker and ePortfolio tools
- Mass-export of course materials or data