Remote Desktop Connection (Windows - GlobalProtect)
Instructions on how to use the Windows Remote Desktop client to connect to an SMPH staff computer.
- Click and run the WiscVPN GlobalProtect desktop app.
Note: If you need to install GlobalProtect see the following KB article:
WiscVPN - Downloading and Installing the GlobalProtect (PaloAlto) Client
- Enter the following Portal: uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu with your NetID credentials, then click Connect.
Note: To confirm that your are now on the VPN you should see Status: Connected in the GlobalProtect window.
- Now that the VPN is connected, open and run the Remote Desktop Connection application.
Note: The Remote Desktop App can be found, by clicking the Start Menu button (windows logo - taskbar), and typing "Remote Desktop Connection" in the search field.
- Enter the IP address (Ex. 128.104.###.###) of the specific work computer you are trying to connect to.
Note: To find out the IP address you can usually do a google search (while on the work computer) for the phrase “What is my IP”
Note: Your work computer must be powered on for the connection to work.
- Enter your MSAD network credentials (Work computer username and password).
Note: Make sure you enter MSAD\ before the username (see below).
- IF, you see the Certificate message, check the box next to “Don’t ask me again…” and click Yes.
- You should now be logged into your work computer, via the Remote Desktop Connection window.