WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Customization Approval Through UMark
We have a process in place whereby users need to request approval from UMark for the customizations that they want to make to their WiscWeb sites. This document outlines that process and some of the internal information regarding these changes.
Periodically, we work with customers who want to change the design of their site in some way. This could include things like:
- removing the UW Crest and replacing it with their logo
- removing references to UW-Madison in the header
- changing the primary color from red to something else
The first thing you should do when you find out that a customer wants to redesign their site is to find out more information. Chat with them in an open lab, if you can, to get an idea of what they are looking to do and why.
If the change seems legitimate, encourage them to provide you with a mockup of the design and copies of things like logos and other imagery. This helps us visualize the changes to be made and discuss any concerns with them right away. Here's a list of things that could be concerning:
- logo won't fit the space well
- font within a logo
- quality of logo
- colors clash with the other colors of the UW Theme
- colors won't pass contrast (accessibility)
Once you get a general idea of what they are looking to do and confirm that the mockup and/or planned changes are acceptable, please send the request to University Marketing for approval via our Header Redesign and Color Changes form: https://wiscweb.wisc.edu/header-redesigns-and-color-changes/. Include all relevant information (mockups, logos, etc.) and communicate any concerns you have in the Description of Changes box.
University Marketing will contact you when they have reviewed the request and will let you now if it has been approved or denied. If it has been denied, email the customer to let them know and allow them to make changes to their request where appropriate. If it has been approved, email the customer to let them know and add the changes to Jira when the customer is ready. Make sure to gather information on their deadline so that the work is completed on time.
Please Note: It is important for you to know that there are certain branding guidelines on campus which we need to follow. For example, if the customer plans to publish to a non-.wisc.edu domain or are replacing the logo on the site, we will need to remove all instances of Verlag from their project. The backup font for this would be Montserrat: https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Montserrat. Also, the use of Lato font is prohibited on WiscWeb sites as it is strictly used for secondary department print logos. If they prefer to use a different font other than Montserrat, they will need to request approval through UMark. Send this request through the Header Redesign and Color Changes Form.
Other Notes (per UMark):
- The crest and Verlag go together. If they want to use their own logo, they have to use their own font.
- If they change out the crest for their logo, they have to use a site name in text (not as part of the logo). The cost benefit of changing this is not there anymore.
- We will not change aspects of the UW Theme to accommodate a customer logo.
- Try to get a SVG version of the logo so that it scales better.
- It's ok to leave Vitesse in the stylized quote region when swapping out branded fonts on the site.
- The most understandable reason for not wanting to use the default styles of the UW Theme is because of being funded by groups outside of the UW.
- If a customer is not agreeing to these rules, feel free to put them in touch with UMark. They will handle the branding conversation.