Want to make your battery last longer? Read this short article on how to get the most out of your battery.
Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan
- Battery Life: the amount of time your device runs before it needs to be recharged.
- Battery Lifespan: the amount of time your battery lasts until it needs to be replaced.
General Performance Tips
- Update to the latest software.
- Software updates include advanced energy-saving technologies, so always make sure your device is using the latest version
- Avoid Extreme Ambient Temperatures
- Extremely high temperatures can permanently damage battery capacity
- Do NOT charge your device in high ambient temperatures because it can damage the device even further
- (For Apple); MacBooks works best at 50° to 95°
- (For Microsoft) Surfaces work best between 32°and 95°
- Remove Certain Cases During Charging
- While charging, your device may generate excess heat because of the case that the device is placed in.
- If you find your device tends to overheat while charging, try taking off the case that the device is in first.
- If Storing it Long-Term, Store it Half-Charged
- Two factors will affect the overall health of the battery:
- The environmental temperature and the percentage of charge on the battery when it’s powered down for storage
- If storing the device when it’s fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state- which renders it incapable of holding a charge
- If storing when fully charged, the battery may lose some capacity- leading to shorter battery life
- If placing it in a storage area, place it in a cool, moisture-free environment less than 90° F.
- Preserve Your Battery Charge
- Remove USB powered devices whenever possible
- Close all unnecessary programs when not in use
- Decrease screen brightness
- Turn Off
- Whenever not in use, try to turn off your laptop when going to bed or for when you’re not using your laptop for a few hours at a time.
Types of Battery
- Swappable: made of lithium-ion cells that can be easily removed and replaced with a fully charged spare battery. (None of the laptops that we have in store, have a swappable battery)
- Built-In: These batteries are not easily removable and will require a technician to replace it.
Dell/Microsoft: Extending Battery Life
- For both of these companies, selecting a pre-configured power plan will automatically adjust key settings
- To extend battery life as long as possible:
- Turn off wireless
- Avoid Multitasking
- Limit Power-Intensive Activities
- Change the Power Plan
- Turn on “Battery Saver” in settings
- Leaving a laptop plugged in all the time or never allowing your battery to fully charge when it’s plugged can reduce the battery’s charge capacity and shorten its lifecycle.
- Once a month, recharge when it’s 10% or lower
For more info you can search at these websites for more in-depth details: