Canvas - Rubric Importer (UW-Madison Instructors)
Save time and frustration by creating rubrics in Google Sheets or Excel and then importing them to Canvas.
Disclaimer: This feature required custom coding at the campus level. It may break (temporarily or permanently) after future updates to Canvas. This will not affect any rubrics already created, but it may interfere with your ability to create additional rubrics using the button. Please contact the DoIT Help Desk if the importer stops working.
Rubric Importer Tool
Instructors can now import rubrics from Google Sheets or Excel using the Import Rubric button in the UW-Madison Canvas instance.
- Create your rubric in Excel or Google Sheets. For the correct formatting, use these Sample Rubrics.
- To create the rubric in your course, log in to Canvas, go to your course, and click on the Outcomes tool.
- Click Manage Rubrics in the top right corner.
- Click Import Rubric.
- Enter a title for your rubric.
- Cut and paste your Excel or Google Sheets rubric into the Rubric Contents box.
- Click Create.
- To add rubrics to your assignments, graded discussions, or quizzes refer to these instructions.