(Madison) - How to create courses and reading lists in Alma via course list application
The instructions review the steps for staff to set up course and reading lists in Alma, which will should allow students to access their reading lists for classes in canvas or through the courselist site with information on materials availability (provided by alma)
*The user will need both the Alma permissions – Course Reserve Manager and Course Reserve Operator to use the Reading List Application to create courses in Alma.
*** If you just adding Reading Lists or editing them in Alma you only need the Course Reserve Operator.
Part 1: Use the Course List App to generate a Course in Alma
- Login to the Course List App - https://courselist.library.wisc.edu/
- To log in or get to the staff view click login in the upper right-hand corner and click login.
- Log in with your Net ID.
- If there is nothing listed, there are no courses being offered in this department for that term.
- Choose the course name
- If you see a box as below, where there is a Link to a Reading List for a section, then the course has already been created in Alma and you can add or edit a reading list (skip to Part 2 below).
- If you see this message: "There are no reading lists created at this time." you will need to create the course before proceeding with adding a Reading List. (note: this message will be edited to say "This course does not yet exist in Alma")
- If the course is cross-listed, the system will automatically import the relevant metadata the cross-listed departments. or will cover the other course. You should be okay.
- If there are multiple sections with the *same* reading list, then check all the section boxes and hit Create. This will bundle them together in Alma and allow you to use the same Reading List.
- If there are multiple sections with *different* reading lists, then you need to create separate courses for each section.
- If the course is a Meets With course, each component course and reading list must be added separately. See the Advanced Functions section at the bottom of this KB article for detailed instructions for Meets With courses.
Part 2: Create or Edit a Course Reading List in Alma
1. Log in to Alma2. At the top choose "Fulfillment"3. Under Course Reserves, choose "Courses"
4. There is a drop-down menu to filter your search by Course name, Instructor, or Course Code ( = course number). You cannot search or sort by the department. For example, to locate the course "English 156", enter 156 in the Course Code field.
5. Within the results list, find your course entry.
6. Click the ellipses menu (...) on the line for your course. to "Edit" (on the right-hand side of the row).
CAUTION: Clicking in the Code column in the results lists takes you to the Manage Course Information page. DO NOT EDIT anything in the Course Information tab. You may add (optional) Instructor names or notes. If you got to this page inadvertently, click Cancel or the blue Back arrow to return to the result list.
7. To Add or edit the reading list, click on the ellipses menu (...) to select "Reading List"
8. You should now be in a page labeled "Course's Reading List
- If a reading list already exists for the course, you may edit that list. Click on the ellipses (...) and select "Work On" to edit.
- If no reading list exists, click "Add Reading List"
9. To Add a Reading List:
- You will need to input a Reading List code and name of the reading list.
- CODE: The Reading list code should use the following convention: Department Code in the followed by the course number (no space). e.g. "AFROAMER 226". For consistency, use the Department Code in parentheses in this spreadsheet (example below). You can copy the code from the spreadsheet.
- NAME: Use the Course name. If there are multiple reading lists for a single course, add distinguishing information
- DUE BACK DATE: LEAVE THIS FIELD BLANK (procedure update 9/19/18). If a date there is a date in the field, click the X to clear the field. This way the items in the reading list will not automatically generate a restore request and pick up list.
- To add resources (books or articles) to the list click "Add Citation" and choose "Add Repository Citation" from the drop-down and then search Alma by title, barcode, etc.
- Locate the correct record in Alma search results, then check the box next to the entry you want, then click Select to add to the Reading List.
The citation entry should look like the image below:
Part 3: Moving items on Reading List to a Reserve Location
- From the Course's Reading List page, from the elipses (...) menu select "Work On" - from there you are on the Edit Reading List page view and can see a list of titles in the list.
- For each entry that needs to be moved to your reserve location, select Manage Fulfillment Options from the elipses (...) menu for each title
- On the copy you want select Request
Advanced Functions and Tips
- Alma has two options: copy reading list and duplicate. It is best to duplicate it so all the metadata is the same - add a 2 or another number to the end of the code and name to get it to save. Alma won't let required fields be exactly the same.
- View hidden just allows you to see the hidden fields in Alma. They are usually extraneous fields that you likely might not need when working in this area.
PDF version of this page for printing: Create-Reading-List.pdf