Users of UW-Madison's Institutional Tableau workbooks may need to navigate UW-Madison's Tableau server. This KB article explains how to get the most out of UW-Madison's Tableau Server and its multiple methods for finding workbooks.
Some UW-Madison employees and students have access to UW-Madison's Tableau Server and can sign in by following these steps:
- Go to https://tableau.wisconsin.edu/
- Enter [Your NetID]@wisc.edu
- On the next screen, enter your Net ID and password (For more information, see this KB Article on Signing In to View Institutional Tableau Workbooks.)
On 5/17/19, the layout of UW-Madison's Tableau Server was upgraded to version 2019.1. A list of changes is included below. For best results, switch to the List View to view more options. Hover over a title or thumbnail for more details. Keep in mind you can only view workbooks you have access to. For a more expansive list of reports, go to UW-Madison's Repository of Administrative Dashboards and Reports (RADAR).
The Tableau Server offers several tools for finding workbooks, including Favorites and Search Tools. Both of these options are described below.
- Quick Search
Enter keywork(s) in the Quick Search bar at the top of the page to see matching content from anywhere in the site. As you type, a sample of matching content appears according to relevance. Hover over items for more information. To see all results, click on See All.
- For more detailed searches, use the operators and, or, or not. Use * at the beginning or end of a word to substitute for exact terms. Use quotation marks "" to enclose search phrases.
To retrieve Favorites, click the star icon in the upper right corner near your initials.
- As of 5/20/19, there is a bug preventing users from creating favorites. Once that feature works again, do the following to create a favorite:
1. Go to List View
- 2. Click the star to the left of the workbook name
- 3. To remove a favorite, click the star again
Advanced Search Options
Advanced Search Options allows you to find content using a search box as well as filters. Results are displayed only within the source page you are currently on. For example, if you are on the Workbooks source page, advanced searches only display workbooks containing your search criteria.
- If thumbnails appear blurry, wait and refresh. Version 2019.1 now uses high resolution which requires a longer upload time. Click for more info.
- Projects, Workbooks, Views and Data Sources are now displayed all together. They were previously separated by tabs. To view Workbooks only, edit the Content Type filter to show Workbooks only. See first image above for a visual guide.
- If you cannot see the star icons to mark as favorite, clear cached images/files in your browser.
Need More Information or Help?If you have questions about this Tableau document, please contact the Office of Data Management and Analytics Services (ODMAS) at email@example.com.