This document provides information about the content authoring platform Pressbooks, including tips on how to get started using the tool.
What is Pressbooks?
Pressbooks is a content authoring platform that lets you create and host custom, interactive texts for the web and in formats like PDF, MOBI, and EPUB. Authoring in Pressbooks is based on Wordpress, so a basic understanding of HTML is useful but not necessary. In addition to embedding images, videos, and other media within a text, interactive features, such as in-text knowledge checks using H5P and annotations using Hypothes.is, can also be embedded into Pressbooks.
If you are affiliated with UW-Madison and would like to use Pressbooks, please contact the DoIT Help Desk for an account. In your request, please include
- Your NetID
- A brief description of what your goals are with Pressbooks
You will receive an email when your account is created, which will include your username and a link to reset your password. Once you have an account and have reset your password, you can log in to Pressbooks at wisc.pb.unizin.org.
If you'd like to meet with a consultant about Pressbooks, please contact the DoIT Help Desk and request a consultation with the Learn@UW-Madison team. There are also several self-help resources you can utilize:
- UW-Madison KnowledgeBase Pressbooks documents - UW-Madison documentation on Pressbooks.
- Pressbooks - Creating a Pressbook (UW-Madison)
- Pressbooks - Adding other users to your Pressbook (UW-Madison)
- Advanced Content Authoring and Reporting - Getting Started with Pressbooks to author interactive modules
- UW-Madison Pressbooks User Group - A community of practice designed to give users a forum to discuss successes and challenges related to their Pressbooks projects. Send an email to email@example.com be subscribed to the Learn@UW-Madison newsletter, which includes information on the Pressbooks user group meeting.
- Pressbooks User Guide - Documentation on Pressbooks written by the people behind Pressbooks.
- Pressbooks YouTube Videos - A collection of tutorial videos on using the Pressbooks online book writing and publishing software platform.