Course Search & Enroll - Drop a Class
This document explains how to drop a class using the Course Search & Enroll app.
Dropping a Class
- Quick steps to drop a class
- Drop deadlines
- Before the first deadline
- Between the first and second deadline
- After the second deadline
When you are enrolled in a class, and choose to no longer participate or attend after the semester has begun, you need to officially drop the class. (Removing a class from your enrolled schedule before the “session begin” date is different, and described below.)
To drop an enrolled class and add one from your cart in one action, please read about Course Search & Enroll - Swap Classes.
Dropping a class in Course Search & Enroll is very easy. However, dropping a class after the semester begins could have significant impacts on your academic plan, your status as a full-time student, financial aid, and more. You are always encouraged to talk with your advisor before dropping.
Please see below for information about drop deadlines, when your UW–Madison transcript may show a dropped class, and more.
Quick steps to drop a class
- In Course Search & Enroll, go to the “My Courses” tab.
- In the Enrolled list, select the checkbox for the class you wish to drop.
- Select the DROP button that appears above the class.
- In the pop-up window, select the confirming Drop button.
- Return to your Enrolled list in the “My Courses” tab to confirm that the class you dropped no longer appears.
Most classes have two significant drop deadlines. When you drop a class causes different impacts on your student record.
Find the right dates for your enrolled classes on the home page of your Student Center. In the grid showing your enrolled classes, select the “dates and deadlines” icon — icon image — which opens a page showing the add, drop, and tuition adjustment dates for that class. All deadlines are by 11:59 pm that day.
The session dates table shows drop deadlines for all sessions in a term.
Before the first deadline
“DR/W Transcript Notation Date.” - You are free to drop a class on your own up to the “DR/W Transcript Notation Date” listed for that class. Follow the Course Search & Enroll “quick steps” described above. Your transcript will not show any record for this class.
Between the first and second deadline
“Drop Class Deadline.” — Until this second deadline, you can still drop the class on your own. Your transcript will include a record for this class with a “DR” instead of a grade, simply noting that you took this course and dropped it. The “DR” does not affect your grade-point average or have negative implications.
After the second deadline
When the “Drop Class Deadline” has passed, a request to drop this class must be approved by your academic dean’s office.
- Course Search & Enroll - Adding and Enrolling in Classes
- Course Search & Enroll - Permission and Approval for Course Enrollment
- Course Search & Enroll - Tips for Searching
- Course Search & Enroll - Common Issues and Error Messages
- Course Search & Enroll - Swap Classes
- Course Search & Enroll - Wait Lists
- Course Search & Enroll - Save a Course for Later Enrollment
- Course Search & Enroll - Scheduler tips