Microsoft Office, Visio, and Project Compatibility
This doc lists potential compatibility issues with Microsoft Office, Visio, and Project as they pertain to the centrally-distributed Microsoft software installers at UW-Madison.
- You cannot mix bitness on a machine. Office, Visio, and Project must all be either 32- or 64-bit.
- You cannot mix Office software installed with different types of installers. All must be Click to Run or all must be Windows (MSI) Installer.
- These apps use the Click to Run Installer:
- Office 365, Office 2019, Visio 2019, and Project 2019.
- Office 2013 and 2016 installed from the Office 365 portal.
- These apps use the Windows (MSI) Installer:
- Visio and Project versions 2016 and earlier.
- Office 2013 and 2016 downloaded as ISOs from the Campus Software Library.
- You cannot mix different year versions (2013, 2016, 2019). Office, Visio, and Project must all be the same year version, with the exception for Office 365 noted below.
- You can install Project 2019 and Visio 2019 alongside Office 365, since all use Click to Run installers.
- See also:
- Office, Visio, and Project operating system requirements from Microsoft: https://products.office.com/en-us/office-system-requirements
- Determine what version of Office you're using: https://kb.wisc.edu/office365/page.php?id=45506
- Instructions for downloading and installing Office: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=43841