Help Desk - Data & Metrics Student Lead Position Description
Help Desk Data & Metrics Student Lead Position Description
The Data & Metrics Student Lead works with User Services’ Data & Metrics Specialist and her team to improve the Help Desk’s use of data. This also includes data and visualizations that would be used by customers. This student lead will collaborate with other Data & Metrics Student Leaders and Help Desk leadership to improve our existing queries, reports, and visualizations and create new reports as needed. These students have the opportunity to build on their analytical, design, and communication skills. They will engage in a meaningful way with Tableau which is used by hundreds of organizations across the country.
Data & Metrics Student Leads are expected to continue their professional growth at the Help Desk by participating in training for new services and by completing HDQA training, if this has not been completed upon hire. This position reports to the Data & Metrics Specialist. Students in this role will earn $12.00 an hour for all Help Desk hours worked.
50% - Help Desk Operations
- Perform regular Help Desk duties, including Phone, Chat/Email, or HDQA shifts, as appropriate.
40% - WiscIT Management and Administration
- Become a subject matter expert for Tableau and our Help Desk data.
- Maintain and improve our existing dashboards, reports, and other visualizations.
- Identify opportunities for new dashboards and uses for data.
- Regularly meet with Help Desk Leadership to ensure their data needs are being met.
- Help transition the pre-existing HD dashboards to the UW Madison server environment.
- Manage other Data & Metrics projects as they arise.
5% - Training and Documentation
- Create and maintain the Data & Metrics Team's documentation.
- Help to train new student leads into this role.
5% - Professional Development
- Professional development varies by individual but we want to ensure you have some time to continue to grow your skills.
Required Experience and Skills
- At least 6 months of experience at the Help Desk
- Some knowledge of Tableau or knowledge about data visualization
- Ability to work independently to prioritize and complete projects.
- Ability to work 15-20 hours per week at the Help Desk. Of these hours, 5-10 must be Data & Metrics Student Lead project hours performed during business hours (8-5 Monday through Friday).
- Ability to become HDQA trained within two semesters.