Request Short-term Staffing in L&S
This document contains instructions for requesting short-term staff (STS).
Background: Short-term Staffing
The term “STS” refers to short-term instructional staff. STS may refer to the following titles:
- Academic Staff instructors (Lecturers, Teaching Faculty)
- Lecturer (SA)
- Visiting or L/I faculty
- Emeritus Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty
- Volunteer Instructional Staff
- Additional teaching assignments ('temporary increases') to Academic Staff
STS positions during the academic year require approval through the request process outlined on this page, regardless of the funding source. This is necessary because STS plans will be reviewed as a part of a department’s overall instructional strategy and for technical reasons (e.g., percentage of appointment, title). Requests for STS in Summer Term are included in a department's summer planning materials.
Annual Planning Exercise for STS
Each January, Teaching & Learning Administration in L&S conducts an annual Short-term Staffing exercise for the upcoming academic year. Departments are encouraged to submit their staffing requests for the entire academic year at this time. These requests are made by submitting an Initial STS Planning Spreadsheet via Box:
- Materials for 2022-23 Planning Exercise
- Download Spreadsheet: Blank or Example
- Deadline: Friday, February 4, 2022
- Upload to the Teaching & Learning folder in Box ("48-#### Teaching & Learning Admin")
- If you do do not have Box access, email your request to Amanda Mahr.
- Approvals will be communicated via email and Box by Wednesday, February 23, 2022
STS Requests outside of this annual process must be submitted via the online STS Request Form. Departments do *not* need to keep the spreadsheet from the planning exercise up to date. STS Requests sent outside of the planning exercise will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with responses sent by Amanda Mahr via email and Box. Please note, L&S may ask to see an updated Teaching Report while evaluating the new request.
STS Appointment Levels
101 Funded STS
Funding line for most 101 funded STS: 101-A48##04, where '##' is the department number from your unit's UDDS.
If your department is receiving one-time support on fund 101 from sources such as FIGs, Honors, Other Schools/Colleges, etc., these credits will be itemized on your STS budget sheet. You are strongly encouraged to review your STS budget sheet to understand the fiscal implications of your plan. Please contact Assistant Dean Mary Beth Roberts with questions regarding your STS budget sheet on the BSR.
Approvals & Next Steps
Approvals will be communicated via email and in the STS folder in Box (“48-#### STS”).
If additional positions are needed, please submit a request via the online request form.
Contacts for L&S Administration
- L&S Teaching & Learning Administration
- Amanda Mahr, Instructional Planning Coordinator
- L&S Human Resources
- L&S Budget Office
- Mary Beth Roberts, Assistant Dean