L&S Short-term Staffing Plans
Each January, the College of Letters & Science begins a short-term staffing exercise for the upcoming academic year. This document contains the request form for short-term staffing (Short-term Staffing Plans) along with detailed instructions and deadlines.
Documents & Deadlines
- Short-term Staff Planning Spreadsheet
- Deadlines for 2020-21 academic year
- Main call: March 2, 2020
- Secondary call: September 19, 2020
- Submit the spreadsheet via Box or by email. Naming convention: Yourdepartmentname_STS Plans 2020-21
- Box: Submit in the departmental Teaching & Learning Admin folder, STS subfolder ("48-##00 STS"). Please note, Box access is typically limited to chairs/directors and department admins.
- Email: Send to Amanda Mahr
- Short-term Staffing Plans
- Detailed Instructions for the Short-term Staff Planning Spreadsheet
- Guidelines for appointment levels
- Contacts for L&S Administration
- Update the worksheet with basic details at the top (department name, your name, etc.).
- For each short-term staff position, list the course details (name/number, along with credit range, planned capacity, and instruction mode). These details should be specific to the instructor's section (e.g., if there are multiple sections being offered, only list the expected enrollment and number of TAs supervised for the STS-taught section). These details will be used in determining the STS appointment level.
- List the anticipated title along with the expected appointment percentage.
- The estimated salary will calculate based on the Title, Timeframe and Appt % fields. This calculation assumes the salary is nine-month/C-Basis. Salaries for A-Basis appointments, or ‘Other’ timeframes will need to be manually calculated (using a tool like FLOAT) and entered in the ‘Est. Salary’ column. The ‘Est. Salary’ column is not locked against editing.
- Use the 'Notes' page to provide details on STS who will teach multiple courses (e.g., Visiting Faculty).
- Funding. The spreadsheet is pre-populated with common STS funding sources (STS 101 Budget, Summer Revenue). Update or add funding sources to this table as necessary.
- STS Titles & Rates. Similar to funding, the sheet is pre-populated with some common titles and rates. Please add titles and/or modify the rates as necessary with the expected titles/rates. Common appointment percentages are listed below. Standard salary rates for short-term staff in L&S are listed on the Gateway.
3. Summary – Funding. This page is informational only, and will display estimated salary costs by funding type. Again, this is dependent on the values listed on the ‘Dept Details’ worksheet. No data entry is needed on this page.
4. Calculations. This page is informational only, and displays the spreadsheet's automated salary calculations.