This document will walk you through the process of creating your Google Search Console account and adding it to the Customizer in the UW Theme.
Google's Search Console tool allows users to track a site's performance and make adjustments in order to enhance placement in search results. It also offers a way to request that Google recrawl a website and/or link to a sitemap.
Step 1: Creating a Google Search Console Account
- Open a new private browsing window/incognito window
- Navigate to Google Search Console
- If you already have an account, Sign In
- It is recommended that you use an Office 365 Service (departmental) account for this purpose. For more information regarding Service Accounts, please refer to Office 365 - Getting Started with Service Accounts.
- You would use that account to sign in (for example, email@example.com is assigned to individuals on the WiscWeb team and is visible when they log in).
- In the screen where you choose the Property Type, select the URL Prefix box
- Type in the URL of the site you would like to register into the Enter URL field
- In the Verify Ownership window, scroll down and click on the HTML tag option
- In the box, you will see some code starting with a <meta> tag. The ID you need will be after the content= within the quotation marks. Example:
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="this is your console ID" />
- Copy the ID listed between the quotation marks and then scroll down to follow the steps for adding it to your WiscWeb project.
- Keep this window open as you will need to return to it as soon as you add the ID to your project.
Step 2: Adding a Google Search Console ID to Your Project
- In a separate browsing window, navigate to your project Dashboard in WiscWeb
- Click on Appearance and choose Customize
- Choose Google Services
- In the Google Search Console field, paste in the ID you copied
- Click Publish
Step 3: Verifying ID in Google Search Console
- Toggle back to your Google Search Console window
- Click the Verify button in the HTML tag box
- Allow the tool to verify that the ID has been added to your site successfully.