This document describes the process to download and convert Blackboard Collaborate session recordings into a portable format (e.g., MP4, MP3, etc.) using the Collaborate Publish application.
NOTE: It is necessary to have the Collaborate (Elluminate) Publish application installed in order to complete the steps listed in this document. Information about Publish, including a link to the vendor's documentation, is available in the KB document Blackboard Collaborate Original - Plan and Publish Tools.
Blackboard Collaborate Original session recordings are in a proprietary format and can be viewed using the application. This document explains the process to use a standalone application, Collaborate Publish, to convert the recording into a portable format (e.g., MP4, MP3, etc.). The output files can be hosted external to the Collaborate service, such as in Kaltura or on a web server.
- Navigate to the session recording (e.g. MyUW portal Web Conferencing).
- Click on the link to launch the recording.
- Save the .collab file to your computer. You may need to change your browser configuration to not automatically launch the Collaborate Original application as you do not want to play the recording. These types of files can only be used once.
- Open the .collab file in a text editor and scroll to the bottom.
- Copy the download link with the format similar to https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/download/recording?uid=<string of characters> and paste into a browser window.
- Download the .vcr file to your computer.
- Start Collaborate (Elluminate) Publish. Select the Browse button next to the Recording field and select the .vcr file that you saved locally. Make the appropriate selections and select Convert.
Please note that the application (publish.exe) and Java make calls to the Collaborate infrastructure that you may need to allow depending on your local firewall policy. The time it takes to complete the conversion depends on the duration of the recording and it may take the same amount of time or longer.Consult the vendor's user guide for additional information about the application options.
- The selected files will be saved to the same location as the .vcr file and will have filenames that contain the Collaborate Original session name.